Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would the birth registration number be crossed out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would the birth registration number be crossed out?

On a birth registration in Surrey in 1975 the page number **** has been crossed out and replaced with a handwritten ####/S. (**** and #### = different 4 digit numbers) Didn't want to put the full ref as this person is still living.

Would/could this mean that the person was adopted? What is the significance of the /S after the replacement number?

This was found on Ancestry England & Wales Birth Index 1916 - 2005.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

I'm sure we have had this question before - and I can't remember the answer! :o
    Elaine

Comment

I thought so too Elaine, and I couldn't remember either

I wasn't sure whether this should be on here or on the Adoptions board either. ;)

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

It means they've been re-registered - not necessarily an adoption, it could be that the birth was registered in the mmn before the parents married, and re-registered with the husband's surname after the marriage.

1915/S (for example) will refer to the September quarter of 1915. Have a look at that quarter, and you should find the new registration.

Comment

Are the four digit numbers years or not? I think normally when it is sending you to a re-registration it says something like See S/15 rather than 1915/S so this could well be an adoption rather than re-registration. I'll see if I can find that post from FreeBMD about it that I found last time...
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh yes, here it is:

RootsWeb: FreeBMD-Admins-L 1920B3L0331
            KiteRunner

Comment

A four figure digit followed by /S indicates an adoption. If a birth was re-registered it would have 'see D/43' indicating quarter and year the birth was re-registered.
              Last edited by Asa; 15-03-09, 18:34.
              Asa

Comment

I have one and i know she was not adopted.
                Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

What format is the reference number for yours, Fi?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

she was registered twice and with different number. The second had an s after it. same surname
                    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

One of my grandaughters was born before her parents married, but was registered with her mother's surname with her father listed on the BC. There is also a listing on Ancestry, same refs, with her surname shown as the same as her father's. A year after her parents married, when she was 5, her registration was altered, showing different ref numbers, and giving her her father's surname. Unfortunately the images for her are not available on Ancestry so I can't check whether the original number has been altered or not, but I'm assuming (genealogists NEVER assume!!!) as Asa has said, that it would refer to her original registration reference.

The one I have from 1975 shows four numbers, not the year, before /S. I think the child was adopted so am I right in thinking that she would not have been re-registered, either under her birth name or her adopted name?
                      Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 15-03-09, 20:54.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Sue, I'm adopted and it's my original birth reference that has 1111/S so I'd say no.
                        Asa

Comment

Working...
                        X