Isle of Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isle of Man

My daughter's boyfriend has ancestors from the Isle of Man.

FreeBMD doesn't seem to cover the Isle of Man. The IGI is reasonably helpful, but if he needs to order a birth, marriage or death certificate how would he find the year, quarter and reference?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I think the Civil Registration Index for the Isle of Man is available on film at the LDS centres. I don't think it is available online.

In case you haven't seen it there is an address in the wiki where applications for certificates can be made.
    Isle of Man - Family Tree Forum
    Elaine

Comment

I have looked at the Wiki, Elaine, but as there are several families with the same surname I have to be sure he gets the correct certificate.

It is very frustrating not being able to look at BMD indexes. It's a matter of identifying the correct people.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Can you not order the film at a local LDS centre?
        Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I'll have to enquire to see what they have.

It's not for me, however, and I don't want to do all the research myself or there won't be any fun left in it for my daughter's boyfriend. They have been here the last couple of days and have gone now, and he is really keen to do it himself, although he has time constraints.

If it were available to order on-line it would be much easier. He might have to write to the Isle of Man.

It's a very complicated scenario, involving a baby being brought up by people who weren't his parents but a sister's child. Basically, the family isn't descended from whom they thought they were!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

There seems to be quite a lot in the LDS catalogue for the Isle of Man
            Place details ('Isle of Man')

We are so used to having BMDs on line - I can imagine your frustration!
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the link, Elaine, it will be very useful.

As Benjamin Godwin was in the army, some of the children were born in Ireland, and we managed to get the births through FMP this morning, which was useful.

They were very specific on the 1911 census - they had been married 20 10/12 years!!

The children's births were given the same way:
              20 6/12
              14 11/12
              13 7/12
              9 7/12

Very helpful!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

very confusing.

Comment

Working...
                X