Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips?

My Margaret Strachan unhelpfully married a William Smith in 1852 at St Pancras Euston Square. He was born around 1831 in Clerkenwell or Pancras (so I assume Grays Inn Road area) and was, like several members of Margaret's family, in the optical glass grinding trade.

I have found them in 1861 living in Islington with two children who they awkwardly called Thomas and Mary, aged 5 and 1 and born in Clerkenwell.

Margaret died in 1866 in Islington and by 1871, William had married a dressmaker called Maria. They are still in Islington and Mary, aged 11 and born Pancras, is with them plus a daughter of their own.

I've searched for Thomas, either born Clerkenwell or Pancras or London or as a lodger or relation other than son and can't identify him anywhere and there isn't an appropriate Thomas in 1881 in the glass grinding trade to pounce on. I may have found William in 1881 but if I have, Mary is no longer at home anyway.

I would ideally like to find the fates of Thomas and Mary but apart from trying certs and trawling PRs I can't think of anything else to do.

I keep thinking what Virginia Woolf wrote about London swallowing up millions of young men called Smith:-)
    Asa

Bound to be a silly idea as that's all I ever produce but have you looked for him under the name of Strachan ? It's possible he changed it as Smith was so ' common '. There might not be too many with that surname in the area and you have his place and date of birth as a guide.

Comment

Thanks BC, worth a try isn't it:-)
      Asa

Comment

Another thought. He did not necessarily stay in Islington so could be nywhere in the country. Also, if his mother was scottish born, as her name suggests, he could have gone to live with her family in Scotland or, alternatively, with her family elsewhere in the capital or country.

Comment

Nothing on your first suggestion, BC but thanks anyway. I have already looked outside London with no luck - Margaret and her father were both born in London but I am fairly sure the family must have been Scottish somehwere before that.
          Asa

Comment

Asa, what about these people (not perfect, but worth investigating?)

Thomas W Smith head m 29 microscope object maker b Camberwell, Surrey
            Mary Smith wife m 20 b Marylebone, Middlesex
            Francis (sic)L Smith dau 8mths b Kennington Surrey

Thomas Smith head m 39 optical glass grinder b Bermondsey Surrey
            Mary wife m 30 b marylebone Middlesex
            Frances 10 b Kennington
            and more children, plus:
            Henry Herry father-in-law b Southampton. (He didn't help with finding a marriage!)

Maybe the other side of the river is just too far to be anacceptable birthplace....? And he's a bit old with no reason to be as his wife is younger.

Comment

Thank you Merry - I did rule him out mentally but if I can find the marriage it would be worth a look in the PRs wouldn't it.
              Asa

Comment

*waves to Asa, always happy to greet a Virginia Woolf enthusiast*
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hello Nell - I saw you'd posted and thought you must have found me 3 more generations of Smiths lol. Hope yr well:-)
                  Asa

Comment

Sorry if I raised false hopes, Asa. I am brilliant at the moment thanks. Hope you are too.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                    X