Edward married Mary ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward married Mary ?

Edward Clay (b 1808 Belton Lincolnshire) has a wife Mary on the 1841 census and children William, Mary, Thomas and Charlotte.
    HO107; Piece 684 Folio: 51; Page: 10

On the 1851 (HO107; Piece: 1486; Folio: 294; Page: 82) Edward is with Mary and children Thomas, Charlotte, Jane, James, Henry and Sarah.

On the 1861 (RG9; Piece: 68; Folio: 132; Page: 47) Edward and Mary have a new child Edward Tapseal but he was born 1832.

I wondered where Edward T was on the 1841 and 1851. I found him listed as Edward Tapscat Clay, nephew, on the 1851 (HO107; Piece: 2103; Folio: 315; Page: 2) with an Edward (b 1791) and Charlotte (b 1795) Tapscat.

Edward is also with Edward and Charlotte in 1841.

I'm wondering if Mary is a Tapscat or if Charlotte was her sister. Can anyone find anything?

Just a note I believe Edward Clay was christened St George The Martyr, Southwark, London on 08 May 1808 according to familysearch. I don't know why he changes to be born in Lincolnshire.
    Kit

There are quite a few children listed on the IGI with parents Edward and Mary, including Edward Tapsket Clay. Not sure if they are all yours!

EDWARD TAPSKET CLAY
    Christening: 27 MAY 1832 All Souls, Saint Marylebone
    MARY ELIZABETH CLAY
    Christening: 20 MAR 1836 All Souls, Saint Marylebone
    HENRY ABRAHAM CLARK CLAY
    Christening: 03 JAN 1847 All Souls, Saint Marylebone
    WILLIAM CLAY
    Christening: 31 AUG 1834 All Souls, Saint Marylebone
    THOMAS CLAY
    Christening: 22 OCT 1837 All Souls, Saint Marylebone
    JAMES CLAY
    Christening: 25 DEC 1844 All Souls, Saint Marylebone
    CHARLOTTE CLAY
    Christening: 24 MAR 1839 All Souls, Saint Marylebone
    SUSAN ELIZA CLAY
    Christening: 05 JUN 1853 All Souls, Saint Marylebone
    SARAH CLAY
    Christening: 14 OCT 1849 All Souls, Saint Marylebone
    ROBERT CLAY
    Christening: 26 JUL 1851 All Souls, Saint Marylebone
    JANE CLAY
    Christening: 18 OCT 1840 All Souls, Saint Marylebone
    Elaine

Comment

I see one of the children has a middle name of Clark - wonder if this is relevant

Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837
      Name: Edwd Clay
      Spouse: Mary Clark
      Marriage Date: 1831
      PARISH: St Marylebone All Souls

Right place, right time!

.. of course, one of the children's birth certificates would answer the question!
      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 15-03-09, 08:16.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post

Just a note I believe Edward Clay was christened St George The Martyr, Southwark, London on 08 May 1808 according to familysearch. I don't know why he changes to be born in Lincolnshire.
        May be this is him (from the IGI)
        EDWARD CLAY
        Christening: 05 AUG 1803 Belton By Grantham, Lincoln, England
        Parents: William Clay & Jane

1851 census is a bad image so I can't see if it says Bolton or Belton as place of birth.

.. and wonder if Charlotte is a Clay, rather than being related to Mary.
        Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 15-03-09, 08:35.
        Elaine

Comment

FreeReg gives the marriage date of Edward Tapscat as 1 May 1832 to Charlotte Langton - Edward listed as Bachelor and Charlotte listed as Widow.
          Need to find a marriage now between Charlotte and Mr. Langton!

FreeREG Search
          Elaine

Comment

There's a marriage on 20 July 1828 (Great Gonerby) between John Langton (widower) and Charlotte Holmes ... which doesn't help us at all!
            Elaine

Comment

Mary you have been working hard while I was gone. I saw the marriage to Mary Clark and did wonder. I tried to find a marriage to Edward Tapscot but couldn't.

EDWARD CLAY
              Christening: 05 AUG 1803 Belton By Grantham, Lincoln, England
              Parents: William Clay & Jane
              This has thrown me. Edward is the brother of Rebecca Clay, my OH's 4g grandmother. According to the IGI their father is Thomas Joseph.

I started following this Edward as in 1841 he said he was born in the county on the census and the borough and parish were Marylebone and St Pancras. After that he became born in Lincolnshire.

I'm not sure what to think.
              Kit

Comment

Just checked the 1841 to see if I could find an Edward with parents William and Jane. I couldn't but everyone around the right age was married to a Mary.
                Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                  Mary you have been working hard while I was gone.
                  Wrong country - she's in Italy! ;):D

Why don't you get one of the children's birth certificates - at least you would then know mother's maiden name.
                  Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine, I was thinking of Edward's wife. :o

I'm not sure about getting one of the children's certs now as I'm not sure I have the right Edward.

I think I might have to go searching to see if I can find an Edward who stays born in Marylebone.
                    Kit

Comment

Do you want to move forward and give us the details of the Edward you are trying to find - the one that you are sure about.
                      Elaine

Comment

Edward Clay christened 08 May 1808 St George The Martyr, Southwark, London, England parents Thomas Joseph Clay and Mary.

Thomas Joseph and Mary had 11 children:
                        1. Lucy chr. 09 Dec 1804
                        2. Edward (above)
                        3. Sarah chr. 08 Jul 1810
                        4. Mary chr. 09 Sep 1812
                        5 and 6. Rebecca and Rachel chr. 10 Feb 1815
                        6. Elizabeth chr. 28 Sep 1817
                        8. Joseph (unsure of this one) born 1819
                        9. Thomas chr. 19 Jan 1820
                        10. Charles chr. 31 Jul 1822
                        11. Henry chr. 14 Jul 1824

All children from Lucy to Elizabeth were christened St George The Martyr, Southwark, London, England. The rest, except Joseph, were christened Old Church, Saint Pancras, London, England. I have been told Joseph existed but can not find anything to prove this.

Rebecca and Rachel marry Mr's Wellby - Thomas and Wright respectively and migrate to Australia.
                        Kit

Comment

Do you know anything else about Edward - have you found him on any census etc?
                          Elaine

Comment

I thought I'd found him on the 1841 but when I found the family on the 1851 he became born in Lincolnshire. The 1841 ref is HO107/684/51/10.

I have his wife as Mary but that info was given to me. Although the person is a good researcher I have no proof myself.

Edit: I think I may have gotten wife Mary from the census info as I've had a look at the information I have been given and can't find it.
                            Last edited by Kit; 16-03-09, 01:51.
                            Kit

Comment

Working...
                            X