Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancestry UK and Ireland Obituary collection...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry UK and Ireland Obituary collection...

What is going on with the transcription here? It`s so bad it`s hilarious.
    I`ve only searched for a few names, but so far I`ve seen the person who wrote the obit being named as the deceased and just random words that crop up in the text being noted as spouses surname, maiden name etc. This will need a lot of sorting out!
    Craig

just found this "obituary" - - Ancestry.co.uk
    Last edited by Konovolov; 15-03-09, 00:17. Reason: disbelief and bewilderment...

Likewise, I put in a surname and the obit for the poor soul claimed to date from 1 July 2009! Ancestry can now predict the future....

Comment

That is bad. You'd think the page had some deaths on it at least.
      Kit

Comment

I think they have been loaded using an automatic process, perhaps with OCR software or perhaps as it is from such recent data, perhaps they load it in straight from newspapers that are online? I don't think they have actual humans doing the indexing, anyway.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

They do say at the bottom of the page NOTE: This collection is built through a fully automated extraction process. If you click on Learn More , it tells you more about it. It seems a bit of a pointless exercise, though.

Comment

Presumably the sequence of the data varies depending where it came from. At least a keyword search like they use for the Medical Register does come up with the goods, even if you have to search through the selection.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John,
              I love your Avatar.........does she have a name please.
              Wynford.

Comment

I searched for people with the surname Kelly in Australia.

The first hit was Grace Kelly, the film star, who was killed in a car accident in Monaco...

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post

The first hit was Grace Kelly, the film star, who was killed in a car accident in Monaco...
                  :D:D not the part about her dying, but it looks like one genes' hot matches!!

Comment

Originally posted by Konovolov View Post

just found this "obituary" - - Ancestry.co.uk
                    Obviously refering to the death of English cricket ;)
                    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Wynford View Post
                      I love your Avatar.........does she have a name please.
                      The Champion of the Seas (as sung about many years ago by The Spinners). My g-g-grandfather was her first Master. The owners were the prototype for The Onedin Line.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post

What about Ned?

Comment

I would have accepted him (although I'm not related to him as far as I know ), but to have a database that gives you every single death notice even for people who didn't die/weren't buried in the country you're searching for seems a bit pointless.

Comment

Thank you Uncle John. She is a beauty. And very interesting info too. I came over from the UK on the SS ORMONDE in 1951 and it took 6 weeks. Imagine how long it would have taken in the 'old days'. Thanks again.
                            Wynford.

Comment

Working...
                            X