help deciphering some words please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help deciphering some words please

Can anyone please decipher the last word in the first line and the first word in the last line (before Liverpool and the date)?
    Last edited by Cloggie; 06-04-09, 07:07.
    Sarah

Could the last word on the first line be Commission?
    Elaine

Comment

produced, not introduced.
      I wonder what sorts of documents are executed (i.e. signed).
      The word before Liverpool could be the name of the firm of solicitors.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think the beginning is: This will was produced and is on the execution of a (because the p on the word I think is produced looks just like the p in the name thompson). I cant read the to you are after though, sorry!

Comment

I think it is produced not introduced, but can't help beyond that.

Clare

PS I wonder if it commisioner as in for oaths which is the other way to swear an affidavit other than in front of a solicitor
          Last edited by claretaylor22; 14-03-09, 16:41.
          Clare

Comment

snap uncle john

Comment

Not much brain-power needed, I was thinking of what words make sense in the context!
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think that "This will was introduced" should read "This will was produced".

Looking for answers to your two questions, I was trying to see what things might be "issued out of the Court of Chancery":
                scire facias R. v. D’Hotman, 1842
                An original writ is a mandatory letter http://www.constitution.org/bouv/bouvierw.txt
                General Consolidated Orders Full text of "An Elementary View of the Proceedings in a Suit in Equity: With an Appendix of Forms"

I haven't found anything which seems to have the right shape.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

is it definately a 'c' as the others have curly tails and that one doesn't?

Comment

You seem to get a few relevant hits if you google the phrase "on the Execution of a Commission out of the Court of Chancery"
                    Elaine

Comment

I wondered if it was complaint looking at it again

Clare
                      Clare

Comment

If the later word is the name of the Solicitors - I think it looks like "Forshaws".

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It could be Commi∫sion - i.e. with the old-fashioned first-s for the double-s in the middle?

Christine

Comment

Produced sounds right - makes more sense than Introcuced. And I think Commission makes sense too, with the double S, as the old-fashioned double S is used in the will as well (there are 2 copies, both in different handwriting from this text).
                            Sarah

Comment

Forshaw looks a good possibility for the word in the last line too.
                              Thanks!
                              Sarah

Comment

last line i think is thomas richards brenda xxx

Comment

last first line is complaint brenda xxx

Comment

Date could be 26th, and could be 1802.

Last surname looks more like AVISON, to me.

Christine

Comment

Looks like Avison to me too.
                                      It's definitely 1801 though as the copy of the will finishes with:
                                      "This is a true copy of the original having been carefully compared and examined therewith this nineteenth day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and one
                                      by James Pope
                                      Notary Public"
                                      Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                                        Looks like Avison to me too.
                                        It's definitely 1801 though as the copy of the will finishes with:
                                        "This is a true copy of the original having been carefully compared and examined therewith this nineteenth day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and one
                                        by James Pope
                                        Notary Public"
                                        I see what you mean - although the document you have there might not be exactly contemporary with the Will copy?

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X