Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can somebody make some sense of this one ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody make some sense of this one ?

I have quite a long story to tell that summarises the log-jam in my family history work. I'm not sure I'll ever prove things 100% but I have quite a few "jigsaw" pieces and would value the opinions of others as to what the likely "picture" looks like.

Here goes ........

WILLIAM YOUNG (b1857)

William has consistently given his date of birth as 1857 and his place of birth as "London, Middlesex".

William married Sarah Ann Duffin in Paddington, London on 12/05/1884 and the marriage certificate shows William's father as "Edward Young" and one of the witnesses at the marriage as "Sarah Anne Young".

No census record prior to this date (ie: 1881, 1871, 1861), shows a William Young (b1857 +/- 2) living with a father named "Edward".

At the time of the 1861 census, William should have been a four year old child and must have been in the care of somebody. There is an entry on this census for a William Young (b1857) in London and listed as a "visitor" at the house of a Mr & Mrs Cowley where he is seemingly in the care of another "visitor" listed as Rebecca Young, b1821 in Yorkshire. I was drawn to this entry (a) because the DOB was spot on and (b) because of the place of birth again being stated as “London, Middlesex” ...... most others born in London have stated specifically which area.

A search of birth records for a Rebecca Young shows only one match for an 1821 Yorkshire birth and she was married to a Thomas Young and living in Yorkshire and listed on the 1861 census with her family in Yorkshire.
    I have checked all other census records prior to and after 1861 and only one Yorkshire born 1821 Rebecca Young exists anywhere ...... except 1861 when there are two. One in Yorkshire and one with four year old William in London where, interestingly, she lists herself as a "Widow" !

I have enquired as to whether it is possible for a person to be listed twice on a census and the response was a definite yes. I believe, therefore, that Rebecca Young was listed at her Yorkshire family home as a resident but also in London where she appears to have been visiting / working.

Further investigations have supported this theory, namely ..........

- Rebecca's husband Thomas was a tailor and she lists her occupation while visting London as a "bootbinder" and was visiting a “hatter”

- Rebecca has a Yorkshire based daughter, born 1853, called Sarah Anne Young which links with the witness name on the marriage certificate

After the 1861 census return, William appears to making his own way in life and Rebecca is back in Yorkshire with her family. On the 1871 census return, william is working as a Servant ("Groom") in Stamford and in 1881 I believe he is in Reigate at a lodging house with a dozen others where his occupation is shown as a "hawker".

His wife, Worcestershire born Sarah Ann Duffin, was a servant moving around the Midlands from an early age and was working in Westminster at the time of the marriage which was also where William was working - about 200 yards around the corner, both at large private houses where they were undoubtedly servants of some sort.

The question remains who is William Young and what is his link with Yorkshire born Rebecca Young ?

One possibility is that Rebecca is William's mother. Her other children were born 1844, 1846, 1848, 1850 and 1853 so William's 1857 DOB fits quite nicely but why is his place of birth London and why is he evidently not part of the Yorkshire Youngs family ? I'm advised that witnesses at weddings are very often sisters which might support the idea of Rebecca being William's mother ..... and, therefore, Sarah Anne his sister.

Was William born out of wedlock as a result of a previous trip to or brief residence in London and a relationship with an "Edward" ? If that was the case then it wouldn't have been an "Edward Young", as stated on the marriage certificate, as it is clear that he has taken his mother's name.
    It isn't clear why Rebecca would be in London. Although she shows as a "bootbinder" in 1861, she is simply a house-wife before and after that census. The railway into Kings Cross was barely ten years old in 1861 and most travel would probably be via the Great North Road (now A1), for which Stamford was a major stopping point. Does that explain how William found himself at Stamford in 1871 working with horses as a groom at age 13/14 ?

If Rebecca isn't William's mother then who was she helping out in caring for him in 1861 ? If his "Young" name really did come from an Edward Young then the only explanation would be that Edward was related to Thomas Young, Rebecca's husband and would she really be such a long way from home taking care of him / seems unlikely. I’ve also searched for evidene of a Yorkshire Edward born where Thomas was born and there are none that can’t be accounted for subsequently in that area.

Is it fair to assume that William was Rebecca's "secret" illegitimate son who's only record of existance prior to his marriage came about because they were caught together on the night of a census return in London ? Would it, therefore, be likely that Sarah Anne would travel all the way south to witness the marriage in 1884 ? Seems strange !

I don't know if the previous thread on this helps at all, but just in case it saves anyone looking up the same things as before, here it is

Comment

I think you will find that once the railways came people did use them. I live in Hitchin, which was also a staging post on the Great North Railway and the last horse-drawn coach service to London ran the day before the railway station opened.

Dont assume people wouldn't have travelled to be witnesses - I think quite often witnesses were bridesmaids or best man, so would have been even more willing to travel.

Reading your thread my first thought was that Rebecca was William's mother and that he was illegitimate.

His father's name may have just been incorrectly recorded or he may have invented him.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Just a quick look through

Did you manage to get the birth certificate of William? stipulating father should be Edward?

The birth certificate should say whereabouts he was born and his mother's maiden name - which should make it a bit easier to trace her.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I have no birth certificate because there are a lot of William Youngs born in London at that time and I've already purchased about ten certificates and all were the wrong person. If I was convinced his birth had been registered then I'd keep going but I'm not convinced.

Comment

did you specify that the father's name should be edward on the order form?

it is possible that this edward died before the census. i have two kids with their mother on the 1881, as their dad had died in the decade before. he doesn't appear on any census.

Comment

I haven't because I gather you still have to pay (£3 ?) per certificate for them to check but I might try my luck.

Problem I have with the theory of a dead Edward Young is that he surely wouldn't have been an Edward Young would he ? Unless he was maybe the brother of Thomas which I don't believe he had.

I'm kind of thinking that given Rebecca was definitely married up in Yorkshire and lived a long life with husband Thomas up there, the fact she claimed to be a "widow" while in London is evidence of deceipt and "living a lie". If that is the case then she must have had reason for that and it must, therefore, be not unreasonable to doubt the integrity of any data that William has been told about his birth details.

Comment

maybe she was a bigamist? or maybe he was adopted by thomas, and mixed up the details at marriage? or maybe she did marry an edward, he died and then she married thomas.

Comment

It doesn't help, but I have seen lots of instances of children being given the surname of the man their mother is currently living with (whether or not she was married) This would solve a lot of awkward questions from the enumerators and/or other authorities. The children would revert to their true names at adulthood.

Similarly, they may take permanently the surname of a step father, but remember the Christian name of their birth father.

The fact that William as an adult gave his birthplace as London Middlesex does not preclude his birth place being given more precisely when he was a child.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Given that I gather it wasn't compulsory to register a birth in 1857, what do you think the likelihood is of there being a registered birth for William ?

Comment

Working...
                    X