Transcribing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcribing question

A friend is keen to begin transcribing the parish registers for one of the oldest churches in NZ. I have offered to help with this.

The trouble is that neither of us live anywhere near the church in question. We were wondering how the people who transcribe for freebmd or freereg receive the data. I imagine that for freebmd they use photgraphed or scanned images of the typed books, but how do they do it for freereg without compromising the extremely old parish registers?

I should add that my friend is a noted church historian and it is entirely possible that we may be allowed to actually work from the registers, but I for one, am not sure that I want that sort of responsibility, what if I knock over my coffee? :o

Or it gets lost in the post? There has to be a better way!
    Christine
    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
    Mary Jean Iron

I transcribe for FreeBMD and we work from scans that we download.

I haven't done any for FreeReg but did enquire. I was offered a cd that the registers had been scanned to and then return it when completed.

I think other transcribers work from other forms of data.

Wendy Pusey does a lot of transcribing for FreeReg, perhaps she can answer more fully.

Comment

At the moment I have been transcribing Phillimores Marriage Registers and these have been sent to me as .jpg images.

I am waiting for some BMDs which are being digitised and which will be put onto a CD, which will then be sent to me to transcribe.

Some people have fiche, if they have a reader.

Hope this helps.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I am also transcribing for Freereg, I have got a word document that I am working from.

I get a certain satisfaction from volunteering for this, giving a little back, if you like. I have been helped no end over the few years I have been doing my family tree with Free BMD and FreeReg and the like
        ;)

Comment

I have a fiche reader and buy the fiche via FreeReg from the County Records office. Not all records offices sell fiche though. Another solution is to check FamilySearch to see if the church you are interested in has been filmed, If you're near one of their centres you could order the film and transcribe that way.
          CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

I prefer the option of working from scanned images. The archivist will probably argue against scanning the pages because of the light, but if the Vestry (who do still own the registers although they are in the diocesean archives for storage) want them transcribed, she may see that as a lesser evil than posting the registers to us to work on! ;)

If it is seen to be OK to scan your registers which must be an awful lot older than ours, then she cannot really argue. I know her though, and she will try!

Thank you for your replies, it is good to get this information to support our case for taking on this work.

The Vestry still have to agree, but I am fairly sure that they will. There will be a wealth of information contained in them for the early church in NZ, especially for colonial clergy, which is our special interest.
            Christine
            Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
            Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Working...
            X