scotland's people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scotland's people

how much is it to view parish registers on sp?
    and are the burials any good? i need one for 1830, but not sure what info would be there?

i also have a few baps, are they likely to have info?

The cost is 1 credit to view search results and 5 credits to view an image. Credits cost £6 for 30.

It's a complete lucky dip regarding what information is on birth/baptism OPRs. Sometimes you'll get birthdate, baptism date, parents' names and occupation of father, and names of witnesses, other times just baptism or birthdate plus names of parents. I've had one where it was recorded that the child was sickly and therefore baptised at home and another where all the children's birthdates were recorded in a group. If it's a small place, then you might get more than one child of the same family on a page. Another one of mine has recorded the father's name in the case of two illegitimate births.

I don't know of burials on ScotlandsPeople - unless they've added them since I last looked.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Parish registers cost 1 credit for an index and 5 credits to view.
      30 credits cost £6. Best to have a look at the IGI (family search) first to try to narrow things down,
      No burial parish records are available on Scotlands People. What area are you interested in? - you may have luck with monumental inscriptions.
      As for baptisms - the information varies greatly. Some only have the father's name, others have mum as well, some have an occupation, area, witnesses.

Give some details - you never know you may be lucky and someone may know your family.
      Good luck.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

For baptisms, try the IGI first. A lot of them have been transcribed on there. They are noted as 'Submitted' but are usually correct, as per SP.
        Tracy

Comment

I've been quite lucky with Scottish burials, where particular churchyards have been transcribed and put online.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Uncle John,
            I would be quite interested to hear what burials are available.
            Does any particular part of Scotland come to mind.
            Many thanks
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

As far as I know Scotlandspeople only has OPR records for births and marriages - no deaths that I'm aware of.

Unfortunately OPR's often don't have much or any in some cases on parentage etc. I think OPR's have similar content to the LDS/Scots Origins which is where I search first to narrow it down.

If you want OPR burials I think you'd have to look in the actual parish records and often there's not much information given - often just the name.

You could look on Scotlandspeople for a Will though - I've managed to find a couple but the vast majority of mine didn't make a Will.

Statutory records post 1855 give a lot more info and the parentage on births, marriages and death certificates of the individual (if known). So I was able to find the parentage of someone who died in 1858.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                Hi Uncle John,
                I would be quite interested to hear what burials are available.
                Does any particular part of Scotland come to mind.
                Many thanks
                I have a large number of Scottish clergy dotted around my tree, and they leave a bigger paper (and Google) trail than many people. Monikie, Angus has a whole family of mine.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes it's great when a profession leave a paper trail.
                  Sadly most of the ag labs and domestic servants don't leave a trail.
                  But still fun to search them out!
                  If it was easy then we wouldn't be here to share.
                  Personally I am pleased to have so many in Scotland, not only because I live here but also because of the availability of the records.
                  However for the ones outside of Scotland - I seem to plan my holidays around the places in the UK where my ancestors came from, in the hope I can include a visit to a graveyard or county archive.
                  It will probably take a life time and still I will not have found everyone - but that's the fun.
                  Sorry......prone to babbling rubbish...............
                  herky

Comment

Think I`ve said before, and I don`t know if it`s common knowledge, but you get 10 free credits if you sign up for a newsletter on ancestralscotland.com.
                    Craig

Comment

If you find a Scottish baptism on the IGI, it may well still be worth looking it up on Scotland's People in the OPR's and viewing the image, because some of them do have lots of extra information such as father's occupation, names of witnesses etc. But of course it does work out expensive if you view them all! I have a list of ones in my tree to look at when I buy some more credits; I couldn't have done them all in one go!
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Just to add that if your family are in a rural area you may find more than one entry on the page that connects to your family, so remember to scrutinize the whole page. Some OPRs have tiny writing with lots on one page while others may only have a few.
                        I also have quite a few OPRs where the children were baptised as a job lot. I think one of mine has about 6 or 7 children all done together.
                        herky

Comment

ok, sounds like i might get lucky. i have found some baptisms on the igi, which i want to get, but some of mine seem non existant. i need baps for the 1830's, through to 1850. they emmigrated in 1853.

i have 2 deaths to check out though. donald matheson in 1830, who left a will. it's been a nightmare trying to get it, but is high priority, as he seems to be the grandson of a baron.

the other was dugald matheson, who died before the 1861 census. im thinking he died before 1853, as his son and two daughter's emmigrated to australia with their uncle farquhar, who best looks like dugald's brother. or he could be the brother of farquhar's wife mary. both were matheson by birth.

im not having too much luck with my scots in scotland though. it's very tricky.

Comment

Working...
                          X