a dna test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a dna test

i was wondering how detailed a test would be. there's a kink in my line, that i would like to know more about. if i had a test against a paternal uncle, it should say we were related yes? not that we had a line somewhere in 1750?

and would dna tests between people who are half siblings through their father, but have mother's who are sisters turn up as full blood siblings?

any thoughts?

Depends what kind of test you ask for.

The cheapest and most common is a paternity test - a Y-chromosome test. This can only be done in males, of course. It will tell you:

No, you are absolutely and definitely not of the same father.
    Yes, you could be.
    Yes, you very probably are (but not 100%).

A test with your uncle will tell you you are related (as above) and might even be able to say "within the last few generations" but nothing more specific than that.

Siblings related by only one parent cannot turn up as full siblings if they have a recombinant DNA test - expensive.

Mothers who are sisters - their daughters will have identical mtDNA, but that should only produce a "Yes, you very probably are sisters"...you can see where this "popular" DNA testing starts to fall down now, can't you.

You would need to have recombinant DNA tests done, which would tell you that the siblings have a different arrangement of parents.

I hope that's clear.

OC

Comment

kind of. thanx for the info though. just a little illegitimacy possibly. just wondering about the best way to prove or disprove is all.

Comment

Working...
      X