Am I the only one ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one ?

Do any other people feel they are the only ones doing the Family history,I have yet to come across anyone else doing some of mine ! I would ::love to chat to someone else who is not a 15th cousin once removed to compare notes with them, I expect it could happen one day.
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Yes I did Patti until... I met up with a cousin who I hadn't seen since I was a child who was also researching. We had some good times together searching and sharing our family knowledge and were in contact daily but sadly she had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and died in November last year and I do miss not being able to share the things I find with her - vice versa.

My children are interested in what I find (I think) but don't search with me. However I'm lucky that I have a niece who is interested and joins me on visits to the RO. I also have a (mmm don't know what to call her) she is the g grandaughter of my grandfathers sister who is also researching.

Perhaps a little bit of information will get your relatives interested?
    Kathleen

Comment

Give it time. I've been contacted by a distant cousin 4 years after I placed info on curious fox website.

Before that the only contacts I got were from folk related to my husband;s side.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I had hardly any contacts on my side for a couple of years , now have finally got a really close few, so dont give up it will happen just as you have more or less decided it wont .
        I made sure I had my tree on a few sites too , much bigger chance of getting contacts .
        I also went sideways ,as quite often distant rellies can give you quite a bit info.
        Good luck

Comment

I'm maybe lucky Patti as I know all of my cousins .... but none of them are really interested in family research so as far as chatting goes, I still don't have anyone.

What did surprise me, was the number of surnames ... When I started I felt sure somebody would be looking for the same names as I am ..... but when I do a search on here .... NOBODY is researching my names. I have found a couple of people of Roots who have been VERY helpful with early data although they do branch off way down the line.... that's probably when we all start to 'join up' .... if we go back far enough.

Never mind Patti ..... the people on here are very friendly... at taking you into their families!!

Jean
          Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

I have a few where I am the only person researching. And those are the ones I need help or inspiration withthe most.

And some far off distant cousins have gaps in their tree with my ancestor and no descendents, but they are not very interested in all the information I can give them to fill in the missing pieces - I can give them 11 genrations to add. "Thanks we have noted now" they said. I would love to ask more questions, about some of their info, but am reluctant.

Di
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Yes I know what your all saying and I would never give up, I have had some connections in various places but not for all the twigs I have,but at least it gives me lots to keep searching for, It must be a bit of a come down if you ever thought well thats it I have them all now ! Really it just goes on and on doesnt it, I will wait for that person to come along who has some of my interests as well.;)
              regards Patti

Comment

I have found people researching the same families though on most occasions I have found that I have given more info than I received. However, on one occasion I left some material on Rootsweb and about a year later was contacted by cousins in America where I was able to give them all the Irish info and they gave me all the info from emigration in the 1850's to include copies of wonderful letters from my Great Great Grandfather, my Great Grandfather and two Great Uncles as well as a couple of cousins. We have since met and swopped many stories but apart from that experience I do feel very much on my own. I have contacted others who have no interest at all in family history despite the fact I have much to share. My siblings have no interest, to the point where they actually think that I have a morbid interest in dead people with an unhealthy interest in unearthing unsavoury things that should be left undisturbed, their ideas, not mine!!:( One has no children and the other one has 3 adopted children so whether that makes any difference I don't know. My own two children have no interest in either doing any themselves or with me but show some interest in what I find out! One has no children and the other has two children, one of 3 years and one of 6 months! I am going to have to wait a few years to catch them, but I am working on it!! My son in law's gran has just died aged 95 so I am looking into her family history so I can present a better picure to the grandchildren when they are older as gran on other side has no real interest!!

What do you have to do to make people interested enough to do research with you? I wish I knew the answer to that one and I have been researching for 30+ years.

Janet

Comment

Ah Thanks Janet nice to know I am not alone with this, yes my family thinks I am rattling dead people they just look and smile and pretend they are interested, it makes you feel down sometimes but the excitement when you get a lead to someone makes up for it eh.Even if its only you thats looks.
                  regards Patti

Comment

I was looking on ancestry and found 3 trees connected to one of OH's ancestors. However all 3 seem to have the same info and have that she died in 1791.

This couldn't be OH's ancestor as she married in 1891 and had loads of children.

Looking on the IGI there's 3 possibles (had to guess her dob and there's no parentage on her OPR marriage). It could also have been her husband's second marriage too just to complicate things.

I've just contacted one of OH's cousins (he didn't know about) but she's widowed and has no children but has given me the name of another cousin in Canada who might have children interested - when I get round to sending them the info I have.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Patti,

YES!! I know that feeling well, I do have a cousin and she has been brilliant! we swap info/certs/pictures, we share a gt gt grannie, its kinda complicated but we manage pretty well.

Other names in my tree.. well, I feel totally alone on some lines, and other lines where you are 'waiting' for them to get back to you (but dont!).

Is like ancestry, alot of names/trees where I connect to, so contact them... nothing, not a brass razoo... so why bother to put the info up in the first place... grrr makes me soo mad!!

I have come to the conclusion that its MY research and until someone else puts their money where their mouth is thats the way it'll stay. I know that may sound harsh, and it is, but when some just get what they can and then dont bother (to offer anything back), its annoying!!
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Patti, this has really made me think! :(

Apart from a living parent who refuses to talk about the family background, and two sisters who are not interested (and of course my own children), I don't actually know the names, at least for sure, of any living family members.

It sometimes makes me feel quite sad, but mostly I just tell myself never to give up.
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                        X