Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!! I ordered a cert to help me & now I am totally confused!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! I ordered a cert to help me & now I am totally confused!!

I have been trying to find out what happened to my ggg grandmother Mary Anderton nee Lowe & decided to order her husband's 2nd marriage cert to check if he said he was widowed or not. The cert has arrived & I am now totally lost.
    Edward & Mary married in Asgarby by Spilsby Lincs in 1831, they moved to Barton upon Humber & had 6 children, the last of whom, my gg grandmother Septiana was born December 1843. Edward & Mary are in Barton in 1841. In 1851, Edward is with a Mary Ann Anderton, who is considerably younger than him, there is no sign of his first wife & his surviving daughters are with them & a son John Edward age 3. It later transpires that he was born in Hull in 1848 baptised 1850 son of Mary Ann & a John William Anderton.
    In 1861, Mary & her son John have left & are now living with William Towell in Ferriby Sluice (mistranscribed as Handerson), Edward is still in Barton & he now has a son Edward, & on his baptism, it says he is the son of Edward & Mary Ann. Edward dies in 1869, Mary Ann marries William Towell the following year & in 1871, both her sons are living with them.
    The marriage cert was for a marriage in Hull in Oct 1851, the occupation & father for Edward are fine, although he gives his address as Albert St Withan, which doesn't appear to exist. He is listed as a widower. She is shown as Mary Ann AnderSon not AnderTon & her father is shown as William Mapplethorpe and she is also a widow, which is what I had expected.
    The problem is that I can't find a marriage for Mary Ann to John Anderton, or a death for Edward's first wife. To make it worse, I've found a tree on Ancestry which lists Mary Ann Mapplethorpe as being the mother of John Edward & Edward Anderton, husband John, who died 1859 and who then goes on to marry William Towell, but no mention of her marriage to my ggg grandfather!
    Help, I am VERY confused!!
    Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 23-04-09, 19:40.
    Lynn

Well, to reassure you: the ancestry family tree sounds like one that's been pieced together purely via census records without much investigation into family further than that. It could be that it's a distant branch and the person wasn't prepared to spend money on certificates or it's a speed genealogist more concerned with getting the numbers high than getting the facts right.

So, I guess your real worry is that wife no1 doesn't appear to be dead.

Have you investigated the parish records for a burial as well as the BMD?
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Could Mary Ann's first marriage have been before 1837?
      I wouldn't worry too much about the ancestry tree but you could try to contact them to ask where they got the info from, or is it a private tree?
      And I think you might have another child to find before Septiana - her name suggests she was the seventh, not the sixth!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
        And I think you might have another child to find before Septiana - her name suggests she was the seventh, not the sixth!
        I was about to suggest the same thing!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post

The marriage cert was for a marriage in Hull in Oct 1851, the occupation & father for Edward are fine, although he gives his address as Albert St Withan, which doesn't appear to exist.
          That couldn't include St Swithun as part of the name could it?

I suppose I'm asking whether that's Albert Street, Withan, or a place called Albert Saint Withan?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The ancestry tree does have details of Mary Ann's death & also of John Edward's family, but nothing for Edward jr. I am planning to contact the tree owner.
            I have searched BMD for Mary's death to no avail & have checked burials in Barton & the surrounding areas. There is a burial for a Mary in 1850 in Barton but that is for her daughter.

I did wonder about there being a 7th child, but one doesn't appear in the baptism records.

The address actually says Albert Street & then underneath it says Withan
            Lynn

Comment

There's an area of Hull named WithaM. Therefore the address is probably Albert Street, Witham.

Comment

Thank you Susan, but why does he say he lives in Hull, when he actually lived in Barton. He was there in 1851 for the census & still in 1861 & their sons Edward & William were both baptised in Barton & William buried there.
                Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
                  Thank you Susan, but why does he say he lives in Hull, when he actually lived in Barton. He was there in 1851 for the census & still in 1861 & their sons Edward & William were both baptised in Barton & William buried there.
                  Usually people tell porkies to cover up something!

I've not read all of your first post thoroughly, but could it be that the Anderson/ton thing was to cover up the fact that he was marrying a relative? (not necessarily a blood reative, but maybe a sister-in-law or similar)

That might explain he marrying away from his usual patch......or it might have been a bigamous marriage, or both! lol

Comment

As he married in Hull, he may have given Mary Ann's address? Did she live in Hull?

Comment

Well she couldn't sign her name so might not have realised she was down as Anderson & it is an easy mistake to make. On the Ancestry tree, the owner has Mary Ann's husband John dying in 1859, now that John is buried in Barton & I have him down as one of Edward's cousins, but Edward also had a brother John of a similar age. It does all seem very strange. If Edward's first wife was still alive, where was she? Why would she leave her daughter, Septiana who was only 8 when her father married again?
                      Lynn

Comment

Mary Ann gave her address as Roper Street, which I understand is also Hull
                        Lynn

Comment

Lynn, Are you sure you have the right certificate? I cant find a marriage for a Mary Ann Mapplethorp(e) to either an Anderson or Anderton. And if it's highly likely Edward was living Barton, then maybe either he never married Mary Ann, or you should look for another marriage.

Comment

I did wonder that, as I couldn't find a marriage for her either but the other details fit, occupation, father's name, father's occupation. The parish records for Barton do show Edward & Mary Ann having 2 sons.
                            Lynn

Comment

I have just checked the 1851 census & the only Edward Anderton in Hull was 11 yrs old and my Edward is the only one appearing in Lincs,(apart from his dad) so I am fairly sure it is the right cert.
                              Lynn

Comment

No William Mapplethorp in Lincs on the censuses with a dau Mary Ann of the right age. Seems something isn't right.
                                Last edited by Guest; 13-03-09, 20:40.

Comment

She might just not be with her father on the censuses?
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                    She might just not be with her father on the censuses?
                                    Of course that's possible Kite, however, there's no marriage either to be found for a Mary Ann Mapplethorp(e).

Lynn, does the marriage cert give Mary Ann's father's occupation? Does it say whether he was deceased? Who were the witnesses?

Comment

Is this a possible death for Edward's first wife?

Mary Anderton, 1st qrt 1850, Glanford Brigg, vol 14 page 256.

Comment

Lynn, if all else fails, I suppose you could get the marriage certificate for Mary Ann to William Towell to check what it says for her father's name on there, see if she says William Mapplethorpe again or not.

Who were the witnesses at the Edward Anderton / Mary Ann wedding? Any clues there?

Also I suppose it's possible that Mary Ann's father was William Mapplethorpe but that he wasn't married to Mary Ann so she had a different surname? Also, if I'm looking at the right people, the only census where Mary Ann might have been with her father would be 1841 anyway, and that wouldn't say what their relationship was even if they were together. It's all very confusing!
                                        Last edited by KiteRunner; 13-03-09, 22:40.
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X