Society of Genealogists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Society of Genealogists...

---is anybody a member, and if so is it worth joining?

Not a member. I have visited their library which is a treasure trove and you have to pay if you are a non-member.

Members also get a number of free hours to search on British origins and discounts off talks, visits etc.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'm a member and love the place it's a trasure trove of information and saves me having to hike around the country looking at parish records as they have a huge collection on fiche/film.
      As well as the benefits that Nell mentions i think they are also planning to put other records/info on line for members only and you also get copies of their magazine through the year. It's also open every Saturday which is a bonus for me as I work through the week.

Comment

I'm a member, have been for a few years, I find that as long as I can make it up to their library 3-4 times a year, I can justify the annual subscription. My sister is also a member and we usually go together. They are closed mondays (annoyingly as that's my day off) and I've just heard that to cut costs they will soon be shut on fridays too.
        They do have a late night on thursdays until 8 p.m. which is when we usually go. If you're thinking of becoming a member, they used to give a free trial of about an hour, so you could go and see the treasures that they have inside. It might be worth you phoning them to enquire (020 7702 5480). I never tire of going up there and always come away having found something new, I mainly use the parish records, but could browse in their library for hours.
        :D Carolyn

Comment

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. I like the idea of the parish records all in one place, plus the library...I think I'm talking myself into joining.

Comment

Go on..... you're only in Essex..... can get there at least times a year ;)

Comment

Working...
            X