Question about being a Baron and a Sir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about being a Baron and a Sir

Cannot say who as he is still alive and is related to my OH.

Is a baronacy for life or is it hereditary? Likewise with being a Sir, is this for life. Incidently his wife has the title of Lady, is it possible the title came to him through his in laws?

I think a Baron is usually just for life nowadays at least. A Knighthood is just for life, too. Is she officially Lady (her first name), e.g. Lady Mary or whatever, or is she Lady surname? I'm not an expert on these things but I believe that if she is Lady (surname) then her title is just because she is married to him but if she is Lady (first name) then it could be her that had a title - but I don't think her husband would get one from marrying her.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

A baronet is also known as 'Sir First Name So-and-so'' .....can be a hereditary title. His wife would be 'Lady So-and-so'.

As I understand it, if a wife's rank is higher than her husband's, (eg the daughter of an earl who marries a baronet) she will be known as 'Lady First Name So-and-so', otherwise she is simply 'Lady So-and-so'.

A baron is 'Lord Blank'

Beverley

Comment

A Baron may be either a life peer (non hereditary) or a hereditary peer depending on his appointment.

See also
        prec
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
        X