Liskeard history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liskeard history

Could anyone give me any information about Lemellion House, Liskeard ?

This is relating to a birth certificate I have just received for an illegitimate girl born in 1906 and the mother was a domestic servant, Lemellion House, Liskeard Borough. (Cornwall)
    Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Have you seen this Ken?

it might help

GENUKI: Liskeard
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Looks like it's a hotel now. There is however, a tiny hamlet called Lamellion, which has a big house..never called OFFICIALLY La/Lemellion House, but that might have been how it was known locally at the time.

OC

Comment

Liskeard history

What I should have added was that on the certificate under both the "When and where born" and the "Signature, description and residence of informant" columns it states "Lamellion House, Liskeard Borough".

I wouldn't have thought that a lowly domestic servant would have given birth in the "big" house. So I wondered whether it could have been a hospital or poor / workhouse.
        Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Comment

Oh, right, looks very likely - Liskeard Workhouse became Lamellion Hospital in the early 1900s.

Google "Liskeard Workhouse".

(Pity you didn't mention this yesterday - my daughter is attending a seminar in Liskeard today and has a few hours to kill!)

OC

Comment

Working...
          X