Why can I only find him on the 1901?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can I only find him on the 1901?

I am completely stuck on this , - & so any help welcomed!

My Grandfather, William James Wilson was born in Manchester, Lancs. in (Approx) 1860/'61.

He married my Grandmother Margaret Rees in Swansea in June 1893. On the Marriage Cert he says that he is 32yrs, a House Painter, father's name William Wilson (deceased) Occupation, Mason.

On the 1901 Census for Wales he & Margaret are living at 113 St Helens Road, Swansea with four of their six sons. He gives his age as 40yrs, place of birth, Manchester, Lancs.

My problem is that I am unable to find a definate Birth Entry for him, & I can't find him on any of the various Censuses for England:-(

I thought for a while that he was the William James Wilson born in Kirkby Ireleth, Lancs in 1860, but the 1911 Census shows this one still single & living at home, - & so it is definately not him!

The 1911 for Glamorgan is not yet available, but I'm not expecting too much from it...

Can anyone on here see anything that I might be missing??

Cheers, Holly.

Might be worth investigating this one?

Births Sep 1859
    WILSON James William Manchester 8d 138

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
      I can't find him on any of the various Censuses for England:-(

Holly, have you tried the Welsh censuses too?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

looking in 1861 for William Wilsons in Manchester who could be the father this one stood out

- Ancestry.co.uk

He's a Stone Mason and he's in hospital.
        NOt a lot of help I know as it doesn't give any other clues as to the rest of his family
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Hi Folks,

And Many Thanks for the suggestions.

Mary, I did try tracking that James William Wilson through the other Censuses; which leads me to believe that he's not the right one...

Kiterunner, I have checked the Censuses for Wales without success. I believe that my Grandfather moved to Swansea for work. As a child, I remember my late Uncle talking about visiting relatives in Manchester, & so I believe that he did come from there, & that he must have had siblings there. Sadly I don't know any names:-(
          (And anyone who would have done is long dead now:-(

Samesizedfeet, thanks for that one. Its annoying that the age is scribbled over! I will see if I can check it out any further...

If only English Certs had some of the details that the Scottish ones do:-(((

Comment

Hi again,

Checked out the William Wilson on hospital on the 1861...

In 1871 he's with wife Margaret in Todmorden,
            In 1881 he's in the Union Workhouse in Pontefract, no sign of Margaret,
            Can't find him on the 1891, - no sign of any children either...

Holly.

Comment

I'm still totally stuck with this one...:-(

Holly.

Comment

not forgetting they did not always register a middle name how about this one
                William Wilson Dec 1860 Manchester Lancs 8D 128

Comment

Holly

do the witness names help at all on the marriage certificate?
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Darksecretz,

The Witnesses on his Marriage Cert are Evan and Selina Rees; who were my Grandmother's father and sister:-(

I can't find any clues...(there's no rellies from Manchester staying on any of the Censuses, or anything helpful like that).

I've been trying to find him, (off and on:-) for about the last 30yrs now:conf:

Its very frustrating!!:madd:

Holly.

Comment

Took pity on you as I'm also a William Wilson chaser
                      there's one in London 1891 RG12 piece 98 141 19 though he's "just" a lodger -
                      painter b. Manchester 1864.
                      otherwise no luck

jjj

Comment

hello Holly,

it might be that his name was James william wilson, I have found this:

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk

and there is a census for 1861 with a James william wilson and possibly a brother Benjamin Wilson boarding with another family. have you looked into this one and discounted it?

Class: RG9; Piece: 3079; Folio: 10; Page: 14; GSU roll: 543075

- Ancestry.co.uk

there is also the LancsBMD site that you could try.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for the imput Folks, - I will check out all of the ones that you suggest.

I've tried looking for clues with his sons names, - but nothing that jumps out... :conf: (I have wondered if there's some Scottish link though).

His sons were: William Havelock Wilson (1894-1974)
                          Evan Douglas Wilson (1896-1957)
                          Ernest Rencella Wilson (1897-1957)
                          George Felix Wilson (1900-1970)
                          Richard Wilson (1902-1959)
                          Archibald Wilson (1904-1930).

I believe that the 'Havelock' was in tribute to the Leader of the Seaman's Union, Joseph Havelock Wilson.

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                            hello Holly,

there is also the LancsBMD site that you could try.
                            Thanks for that Darksecretz,

There only seems to be one William James Wilson on there for 1860:

Mother's Maiden Name: NESBIT
                            WILSON William James 1860 Preston Preston Lancashire PRES/119/17

I've looked for Wilsons/Nesbits in Preston on Ancestry, - but can't find one that seems to fit...

Holly.

Comment

I've been re-visiting this brick wall again...:(

The Nesbits mentioned on my last Post were from County Antrim, Ireland; which might explain why I can't find them on Ancestry.

I've also tried looking for a Marriage between Margaret Nesbit & William Wilson (Senior), but again...no joy.

After the 1861 Census, I can't seem to find Margaret Wilson with son William James Wilson again:(
                              And none of the others seem to have a father named William...

This is very frustrating!!!

Looking at the various ages that he gives...to summarise:

he gives his age as 32yrs on his wedding day, 23rd June 1893
                              on the 1901 Census he is 40yrs
                              on the 1911 Census (2nd April) he is 51yrs...

This brickwall was chosen as one of the 'Ask the Expert' queries on the 'Find my Past' Blog this month, - but they couldn't find him either!
                              Although there are some good suggestions for further avenues to explore...

Holly.
                              Last edited by Holly; 29-03-10, 08:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X