Spam on Genes Reunited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam on Genes Reunited

Has anyone else had spam messages on the Genes Reunited messaging service?

I had a message today from one of my contacts (this person was originally a genuine contact) which was a 'phishing' scam trying to obtain all my personal details on the promise of me receiving an inheritance from a distant relative.

I often get this sort of thing via e-mail and most get filtered through to my spam box, but I certainly didn't expect to get them through a closed messaging system.

If the spammers have found their way into GR, it doesn't bode well for Ancestry's new messaging service.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Have you reported it to GR, Pete?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, I've reported it, and I've had a reply saying that action has been taken against the member, although I doubt that this was directly the member's fault. The message was signed with a different name and gave a Yahoo e-mail address.

The member is a genuine one who has been a member for a while, I had contact with her well over a year ago and she has a tree with over 140 people in it and has several common ancestors, albeit by marriage. I am concerned that the spammers have found a way of infiltrating the system and sending out messages in another's name in the same way they do with e-mail. Without a facility for spam filtering in a messaging system are we just going to get inundated with spam?
      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

AH!!!!

About a month ago, I was absolutely horrified to find over 100 emails in my inbox, all phishing scams. I have a very tight scurity level and I couldn't work out how they got to me.

Eventually I traced the "original" to a contact who I know through a YAHOO group. She was not the originator of my message, but she had somehow become the "carrier" for it - possibly because she uses round-robin type emails to stay in touch with all her contacts.

It cleared up after a few days of intensive virus-scanning etc and touch wood, haven't had a problem since.

OC

Comment

Working...
        X