Huge new archive of WW1 records!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge new archive of WW1 records!!!!!!

Detective work by a British historian has unearthed information that could enable thousands to piece together their family histories.

Peter Barton was commissioned to carry out research into the identities of World War I casualties discovered in a mass grave at Fromelles in France.

He was given access to the basement of the Red Cross headquarters in Geneva. There, he was allowed to examine records that have lain virtually untouched since 1918.

He estimates that there could be 20 million sets of details, carefully entered on card indexes, or written into ledgers.

Full story:
    BBC NEWS | UK | Piecing together the past
    Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

I've also just seen this on BBC Breakfast.

However, we shall all have to be patient as they won't start work until the autumn, and then it could be 4 or 5 years before any information is available.

Apparently there is fantastic detail - what a man had in his pocket, precisely where he fell (e.g. three paces from a specified tree), etc.!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Well done Paul. That is a fantastic find,
      Kit

Comment

I've also seem it on the BBC news.

Hope its got info on my Grandads as I can find nothing on them at Kew.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Wow, I hope it includes ANZACs as well. It would be great to add to what we have from the War Memorial !!
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
            Wow, I hope it includes ANZACs as well. It would be great to add to what we have from the War Memorial !!
            the snippet I heard on the news this morning said he was originally specifically looking for Aussies, so I would think they are included.

They also said as its 20 MILLION records, so I think this must include all the burials, not just Allied Forces?
            Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 13-03-09, 09:28. Reason: sp
            Vicky

Comment

If its the same field they are talking about Diane, yes it does, it was reported on TV here last year, but they had to cover up what they had found because of some permission they needed (from the French i think) and were talking about DNA tests for identification

Its great to see they have found information of who could be buried there though

Sylvia
              Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 13-03-09, 08:58.
              Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
              Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
              Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Must admit to being a bit sceptical about how much help this will be. There must have been hundreds of thousands of bodies so badly damaged that no identification would ever be possible. However, if you know when & where someone died (eg a certain battle on a certain date) then it should be easier to link this to a number of possible graves that are presently named only as "Known to God".
                eg my OH's gt grandfather, who is recorded as dying on 2 June 1916 but is commemorated on the wall at the Menin gate as having no known grave.
                Vicky

Comment

I think there will also be records for many soldiers who were originally buried in known graves that were destroyed later in the war.
                  For example, I have a note sent by the War Office stating that my grandmother's cousin was "buried in Cemetery, grave no 21, at Bouchavesnes, three miles north of Peronne, France". But he now has no known grave and is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial.
                  Sarah

Comment

I only heard this on the news this morning but had not realised it was you Paul that was involved with this. I have a couple of W War 1 mysteries so now maybe all will be revealed sometime after 2014. But as you said so eloquently we need more lifetimes! Well done to you for unearthing this wonderful pot of genealogical gold.

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 13-03-09, 09:15.

Comment

Ha ha! :DIt's just a coincidence that I have the same surname as the historian! However, I am happy to receive your adulation!

Comment

Redacted
                        Last edited by Penelope; 13-03-09, 09:38.

Comment

The curious thing is that I always "knew" that the Red Cross had records at Geneva.

Thank goodness they were paper records. Anything undervalued & forgotten on a computer would have disappeared long since.

Weirdly, the report I heard appeared to suggest that we had had copies of the records in Britain, but they had vanished a long time ago.

I don't know about anybody else, but what I find so sad on the cwgc site is the number of people about whom nothing seems to be known: no age or next of kin.
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

A great find however 4/5 years.......I can do that

Fudgie

Comment

HELLO Paul! I was thinking yesterday we hadnt seen you for a while?

Then this morning they had that story on the radio and the guy who discovered the records was a chap called Barton and I thought about you again. Must be telepathy

Comment

The Australians have done well in this respect - there are loads of Red Cross files on the Australian War Memorial site, including missing persons files, all available free of charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                                  HELLO Paul! I was thinking yesterday we hadnt seen you for a while?

Then this morning they had that story on the radio and the guy who discovered the records was a chap called Barton and I thought about you again. Must be telepathy
                                  Heather, that moment of passion in the carpark behind the Rose and Crown has stayed with me too. I think about you every time I polish the bonnet of my car.

;)

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post

I don't know about anybody else, but what I find so sad on the cwgc site is the number of people about whom nothing seems to be known: no age or next of kin.

my OH's gt grandfather is one of those, and we only tracked him down because I came across his enlistment papers - he joined the CANADIAN army - & they showed his army number, which matched one of the names on the list.

As an aside, has anyone got further details added to the CWGC website - is it easy to do?
                                    Vicky

Comment

A MOMENT of passion? Poor Heather.

*pats Heather's hand consolingly. Hopes the Tinsel-knickered one isn't reading this thread*

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        A MOMENT of passion? Poor Heather.
                                        I would refer you to Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

When you take somebody to the stars and back, a moment can last for hours.
                                        Last edited by Paul Barton, Special Agent; 13-03-09, 12:59.

Comment

Working...
                                        X