Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a boatman in warwickshire 1841

Hi
    Can anyone tell me which districts on 1841 census would be best to look under for him , he and his wife have to be there somewhere ,

Jebbo

Jebbett, Jebson, Goodman, White, Brown, Savory, Salisbury, Wheway, Hastings,
    Lenton, Perkins, Croshaw, Mallabone, Downey, Ring, Bergen, McConkey, Murphy.
    ( avatar Mum and Dad )

no telling , is there?
    do you know for certain he was in warwickshire?

Who are you looking for?
    Jess

Comment

I am also looking for my Boatman rellies on the 1841/51 census. I have been looking under his name, Firkins, not his location. Although I have not been able to find this rellie, I have found other boatmen rellies by just using their names

Comment

If he was a boatman on the canals, he could easily be in another county.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by jebbo View Post
          Hi
          Can anyone tell me which districts on 1841 census would be best to look under for him , he and his wife have to be there somewhere ,

Jebbo
          What are their full names / dobs / place of birth etc???

Have you found him on other census?
          Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 13-03-09, 10:51.
          Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
            If he was a boatman on the canals, he could easily be in another county.
            Even in Warwickshire he could be anywhere, since Birmingham has more canals than Venice.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
              Even in Warwickshire he could be anywhere, since Birmingham has more canals than Venice.

UJ is right. the link below might help you

Birmingham & Black Country Canals - History
              Pam

Comment

Hi
                I am looking for George Savory b 1812 Chilvers Coton d 1843
                and is wife Elizabeth b 1815 Coton all children were born chilvers coton
                Elizabeth 1838, Ann 1839 ( who in 1841 is with her grandparents in chilvers coton)
                george dec 1841 , David 1844
                George occ is listed as boatman
                Thanks for info will look on canals website and see if I can find areas to look under as I can't find any mention of them in coton / nuneaton area

Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

5 children on the IGI

1. DAVID SAVORY - Christening: 25 FEB 1844 Chilvers Coton, Warwick, England

2. JOHN SAVORY - Christening: 27 NOV 1836 Chilvers Coton, Warwick, England
                  4. ELIZABETH SAVERY - Christening: 29 APR 1838 Chilvers Coton, Warwick, England

5. GEORGE SAVORY - Christening: 26 DEC 1841 Chilvers Coton, Warwick, England

6. ANN SAVOREY - Christening: 21 JUL 1839 Chilvers Coton, Warwick, England
                  Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                    5 children on the IGI

1. DAVID SAVORY - Christening: 25 FEB 1844 Chilvers Coton, Warwick, England

2. JOHN SAVORY - Christening: 27 NOV 1836 Chilvers Coton, Warwick, England
                    4. ELIZABETH SAVERY - Christening: 29 APR 1838 Chilvers Coton, Warwick, England

5. GEORGE SAVORY - Christening: 26 DEC 1841 Chilvers Coton, Warwick, England

6. ANN SAVOREY - Christening: 21 JUL 1839 Chilvers Coton, Warwick, England

Yes thats the family , John 1836 died 1839
                    they certainly went in for spelling variants

Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

I think it's possible that George died and his wife Elizabeth married William Hands. Have you seen this from the 1851 census?

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2065; Folio: 355; Page: 3; GSU roll: 87324-87325
                      Heather

Comment

Originally posted by HeatherD View Post
                        I think it's possible that George died and his wife Elizabeth married William Hands. Have you seen this from the 1851 census?

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2065; Folio: 355; Page: 3; GSU roll: 87324-87325
                        Hi Heather
                        Yes George Savory died 1843 Chilvers Coton and Eliz married William Hands 1847 Chilvers Coton Eliz died 1877 , found Eliz and William on 1851 1861 1871
                        but have not been able to find either George or Eliz Savory on 1841 census
                        could only find there dau Ann Savory living with grandparents in chilvers coton
                        All I have on George is that his occ on certs is listed as boatman
                        and that it states on his marriage that he was from chilvers coton parish

George married Elizabeth Mallabone, daughter of John Mallabone and Elizabeth Lawrance, on 12 Nov 1835 in Chilvers Coton, Nuneaton, Warwickshire. (Elizabeth Mallabone was born in 1815 in Chilvers Coton, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, christened on 23 Apr 1815 in Chilvers Coton, Nuneaton, Warwickshire and died in Jun 1877 in Nuneaton, Warwickshire.)
                        Marriage Notes:
                        Chilvers Coton by banns. George Savery of this parish, batchelor = Elizabeth Mallabone of this parish, spinster. Minister John Gurther, curate. Witnesses William Mallabone, Helena Mallabone

just wondering why I can't find either of them on census

Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Originally posted by jebbo View Post
                          just wondering why I can't find either of them on census
                          Was it these folk who were boat people? In which case it would be a stroke of luck if the enumerator caught up with them.

BTW there are several experts who trace boating families from the carrying company archive records.

Comment

Was it these folk who were boat people? In which case it would be a stroke of luck if the enumerator caught up with them.

BTW there are several experts who trace boating families from the carrying company archive records.
                            Hi Uncle John
                            Is there a website where I could look for experts on boating families
                            thanks Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Jebbo

have you had a look in our wiki?

Bargemen/Boatmen/Watermen/Lightermen - Family Tree Forum

there is also a section on Canals & Canal Carriers

Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                Jebbo

have you had a look in our wiki?

Bargemen/Boatmen/Watermen/Lightermen - Family Tree Forum

there is also a section on Canals & Canal Carriers

ok thanks off to have alook now
                                jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

I think there are large company archives at the big boat museums - Ellesmere Port and Gloucester both ring a bell. My knowledge has come mostly from watching "Waterworld" on the telly.

Comment

I think there are large company archives at the big boat museums - Ellesmere Port and Gloucester both ring a bell. My knowledge has come mostly from watching "Waterworld" on the telly.
                                    Ok thanks Uncle John will have alook on web and see what I can find

Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Working...
                                    X