Help - Armed Forces Abroad records ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Armed Forces Abroad records ?

Hi all, I hope someone could perhaps point me in the right direction....

I have a marriage record from 1946 (father was scottish, mother Italian - placed recorded = Cairo, place = Naples)which comes from the 'Armed Forces Abroad' record - can anyone tell me if this is available online anywhere, or does it mean a trip to GROS Edinburgh ?

Also, my mother belives that she has a cousin (child from above marraige) which she recalls having seen when she was maybes about 9/10 and this cousin was just a baby.... - is there anywhere on line to perhaps find a birth abroad ?

Is there anywhere online to find out if this marriage resulted in divorce ? The gentleman in question sadly died a couple of years ago - never having married again....

Any help / pointers gratefully received
    Thanks,
    Jud

I think it should be on FindMyPast. I certainly found a forces birth record there.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This is from the information on Scotland's People:

Service Returns (from 1881) include Army Returns of births of Scottish persons at military stations abroad (1881-1959) and Service Departments Registers (from 1959) incorporating births outside the United Kingdom of children of Scottish residents serving in or employed by HM forces.

To search the minor records indexes for births, go to the statutory births search form and select Minor Records from the Counties/City/Minor Records drop-down list. The screen will refresh with the available minor records displayed in the District drop-down list.

Images of Minor Record births are available here on ScotlandsPeople up to 1908. For index entries after 1908, you may wish to order an extract to see the full details of the register entry. See Extracts for more information.

Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople

The National Archives of Scotland has lots of divorces listed, not sure what year it goes up to:
      The National Archives of Scotland Home Page
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        I think it should be on FindMyPast. I certainly found a forces birth record there.
        Also on familyrelatives.com
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

But the Scottish army records are on Scotland's People and not on findmypast or Family Relatives.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
            But the Scottish army records are on Scotland's People and not on findmypast or Family Relatives.
            For future ref, please - is that Scottish regiments (whether or not the individual is of Scottish family)?, or Scottish people (whether or not of a Scottish regiment)?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, all I know is that stuff I copied into post 3, which says it is Scottish residents who were serving in HM Forces.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Sounds like the second of my two ideas (which weren't adequately expressed, I suppose).

Thanks, anyway. I don't know if I'll need the info, but I might find someone else who does, so it's useful one way or the other.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                X