Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 12th March 2009 is.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 12th March 2009 is.......

Molly!!

Well done Molly

Congratulations Molly hope you get lots of problems solved dear ;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hi Merry,
      i want to find out about my grandmothers family,her name was Ellen Ryan
      born about 1892 in Liverpool.She married in January 1914 aged 22 to William Dahl.
      Her fathers name was George Ryan no information about her mother.I did find
      two Ellen Ryans one was born in1891 but down as granddaughter to head of house.
      The other born in 1892 i think this one is the most likely the address i have from
      the cences is upper milk street Liverpool exchange Bootle.I cant find anything
      else ie siblings or mother.She did have a baby about 1909 she was about 17 or 18,
      his name was George she was not married so i,m guessing he had her maiden name
      Ryan he died when he was obout 21.When i was looking for information i could not
      find anything on him.Oh i forgot her father was a Mariner,hope you can follow
      all this.
      thanks Molly

Comment

Ooh, I recognise some of those names! What were the names of the witnesses at Ellen and William's wedding, please? I'm sure you've told me before but I can't remember those!
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'm not 100% certain, but it looks as though these people are in one household together in Liverpool on the 1911 census, just going from the free search:
          George Ryan 40
          Mary Ellen Ryan 38
          Ellen Ryan 19 (birthplace Liverpool)
          John Ryan 17
          George Ryan 14
          Martin Ryan 12

I suppose I should be able to find them in 1901 to see if they are likely to be yours...
          KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Molly.....the household with Ellen b 1892 and mum M. Ellen Ryan......

I noticed there was a son called Martin which is a fairly unusual first name. Having done some prodding of the 1911 census index, the head of house which includes Martin Ryan is a George Ryan b 1871. His occupation isn't mariner or seaman though, but but it might be recorded differently or he might have changed occupation by 1911.

Comment

Snap Kite - those are the ones!

Comment

This is a real longshot, but as the child, George, isn't there in 1911, might this be him?

Births Jun 1911
                Ryan George Liverpool 8b 96

born soon after the census?

Comment

Oh yes, I see, that is the family that has Ellen born 1892 on the 1901 census (at Upper Milk St), and there is no father with them in 1901, so the fact that the father turns out to be called George on the 1911 is very hopeful. Also I see that the head of the other family at the same address as them in 1901 is a seaman, so that's looking good too. I haven't been able to figure out what George's occupation is in 1911 by using the free search, though.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

You remember me Kite great,yes you found my grandfather for me i was so grateful.
                    You found out he had died in Canada you even sent me the information on his death,

which sadly my printer was not working and by the time i got a new printer
                    i lost the information i don,t know how i checked my deleted emails in case i deleted
                    it by mistake but no joy.

Anyway to get back to now,the witnesses were P Smith and M O Brien.
                    Hope this helps,
                    thanks Molly.

Comment

Molly, I'll see if I can find his death again tomorrow and send it to you again, as it's getting late now - give me a nudge tomorrow if I forget!
                      KiteRunner

Comment

1911 census in full:

George Ryan Head Married M 40 FIREMAN MARINE Born: Dublin years married: 20
                        Mary Ellen Ryan Wife F 38 TAILORESS TROUSERS MAKER (no place of birth given) years married: 20
                        Ellen Ryan Daughter S F 19 TAILORESS COAT MAKING Born: Liverpool Lancs
                        John Ryan son S M 17 SOLDIER Born: Liverpool
                        George Ryan son M 14 NEWSBOY Born: Liverpool
                        Martin Ryan son M 12 Born: Liverpool
                        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

That looks likely then, doesn't it? If he was really a marine rather than mariner I think his records might be available but must go to bed now!
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Yes i believe this is the right family,i,m thinking if the father was not with
                            them on the 1901 census he could have been away at sea.
                            It is strange he is not down as a mariner though,on the marriage certificate
                            in 1914 he is down as a mariner,unless he finished with the sea but put it
                            down as still called himself a seamen.
                            I think you are right about the son born in 1911 so she was older than
                            i thought when she had him.Thanks,thanks and thanks again.
                            Can you find out when they left Ireland please,
                            from a very grateful Molly.

Comment

going on 20 years marriage in 1911 and her father being George this is the only likely marriage I can see on FreeBMD:

Marriages Mar 1892
                              BERGIN Mary Ellen Liverpool 8b 293
                              Ormsby Margaret Liverpool 8b 293
                              Ryan George Liverpool 8b 293
                              Tully George Liverpool 8b 293

so there's a possibility that Ellen Ryan was born before the marriage if her age is accurate in teh census
                              Zoe in London

Comment

A Marine Fireman would be someone who keeps the furnace going in teh ships boiler room (like a Stoker) rather than a Marine who fights fire
                                Zoe in London

Comment

Thanks Kite,it will be grate if you can get that information again
                                  i was too embarrised to tell you befor.
                                  thanks too for the help from Merry and Zoe,
                                  tired now so i,m closing down speak tomorrow,
                                  goodnight Molly.

Comment

molly i told you last night to look in well done hope they break your walls
                                    i told you to be ready as there quick.im thrilled you were picked.will keep looking in brenda xxxx
                                    Last edited by Guest; 13-03-09, 08:12.

Comment

These are Molly's old threads about the Dahls in case they come in useful:

Comment

Molly, if you have trouble finding your previous threads, the quickest way is to click on your own name, then on "Find more posts by Molly".

Comment

Working...
                                        X