Yet another birth cert question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another birth cert question....

My great grandfather's(William Ketley) birth cert clearly has Joseph instead of James for his father, mother is correct, date is 15th April 1857 and is correct.

After reading a thread the other day I decided to email Chelmsford, Essex RO and ask them to check the original.

They have replied saying the GRO cert is "an exact copy of the original, as entered by the registrar at the time the registration took place. The name of the father is quite clearly entered as Joseph. It was the father, Joseph, who registered the birth which you can also note from the certificate".

I have William's parents (James and Eliza Tunbridge) marriage cert from 1849.

I have them as James and Eliza in every census from 1851 (plus them both single in 1841).

I have the birth certs of three of their other children all with James as father.

I have marriage certs of three with James as father.

I have William's baptism entry of Aug 1857 with father James, mother Eliza.

The only thing I can think of is that is was actually Eliza's brother, Joseph, who registered the birth and Registrar wrote his name in the father section.

William was born in Great Waltham, but baptised in Mashbury where they lived ever after......(until William came to Australia).

Can anyone think of anything else I can buy to prove my case or do I just accept that Joseph is a mistake??????

Thanks.

I would accept it as a mistake. I can't think of anything that you could get. Maybe as you say her brother registered the birth and the reg just took him as the father as he registered it!

Comment

Thanks Tessie.............

Comment

I have the original marriage certificate for my grandmother. Her father's name is down as John Arthur when in fact it was James Arthur which goes to prove mistakes happen. The father of the groom was John so perhaps this could help to explain the lapse.
        CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Mistakes can easily happen when people are writing down info, my gt grandmothers BC states Father = James, her 1st MC states father = John, 2nd MC states father = James
          So I would put it down as a mistake or as stated the brother registered the birth.
          L

ps Did you subscribe to the Genealogist??

Comment

Thanks for the votes of confidence..... lol

L.....................yes I did join and so far it has been great. I've found quite a few people I'd not have found with any other site.

Comment

Working...
            X