X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer will not turn off

:(
    Hi hoping someone here can help me.
    My laptop will not turn itself off, it just freezes after the screen "saving your settings" it has been running fine although maybe a bit slow.
    It seemed to start after Windows done an update, is anyone alse having problems.
    If I start it up in debugging mode its ok but next time I swich it off it does it again.
    I have added/downloaded nothing either.
    Hope you can help

What is it, XP or Vista, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kiterunner
      Window xp
      Fairly new computer I've only had it a couple of years and this is first time its played up

Comment

Can you do a system restore to before the updates you mentioned, then see if it is back to normal? If it is, then you could turn automatic updates off and do them manually, one by one, till you find out which one is causing the problem and see if it is an update that you really need. My other suggestion is can you do CTRL-ALT-DEL when it has frozen up while shutting down to see if it tells you which program is not responding?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks
          I have to go out soon so I will try them out later, and get back to you.
          Thanks for your help

Comment

When I had this happen after some MS updates I went to the forum there. They advised removing the recent updates (do a system restore to before they downloaded) and then trying to reinstall. Apparently if they dont install properly they cause this sort of problem. When I reinstalled them it was fine.

Comment

Working...
            X