Is it Shropshire or Staffordshire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Shropshire or Staffordshire?

Can anybody help me with a registration district for 1867 for someone for in Pipe Gate or Ireland's Cross, Woore.

I can't decide from censuses which county the places are in as they are sometimes one, sometimes the other.

There's 2 Joseph Cadman for the same year and my inclination is Wellington Sal but I'm not sure.

Have you looked on Genuki?

There's a database there for matching places with registration districts.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Genuki seems to be down at the moment, but you'll find it here:

Market Drayton Registration District

Comment

Oh drat LOL that's not place in the other entry. I hope he's not going to be another of those that weren't registered.

I've put in Market Drayton as the district and Cadman as the surname 1867 +/- 10 years and none of the entries that come up match any of the children in name and age.

I've had another go at Google maps as GENUKI is still not working and have come across a wee place called Aston just to the right which I missed yesterday. This comes up as Staffordshire whereas Pipe Gate is Shropshire. The county border must have run through some fields between the two places.

Aston, Staffs. is where Joseph's mother Hannah consistently comes from in censuses. It's Hannah's maiden name I'm trying to find from one of the family's birth certs. but none are obvious on ancestry. Hannah is just too old to for her own birth to registered. There's a suspicious lot of name/age possibles for Joseph and his siblings in Wellington Sal though which is what was drawing me in that direction. But it just can't be that as Woore is definitely Market Drayton in the registration district lists.

Comment

Galloway Lass.

Wellington and Market Drayton are both places in Shropshire, which used to be called Salop.
          There is also a place called Aston, Nr. Wem in Shropshire
          Pam

Comment

There are some Shropshire baptisms on FreeReg, but I don't know if they have any for the period you need.

FreeREG Search

Comment

Originally posted by Pamdidle View Post
              Galloway Lass.

Wellington and Market Drayton are both places in Shropshire, which used to be called Salop.
              There is also a place called Aston, Nr. Wem in Shropshire
              Thanks Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                There are some Shropshire baptisms on FreeReg, but I don't know if they have any for the period you need.

FreeREG Search
                Thanks Mary - I had been there already with no luck. This family are the inlaws of yet another Murray sister, Rebecca.

I got the certs. you tracked down for me and the Mary Stockton (or Murray) marriage was indeed the right girl. Annoyingly no father mentioned but one of the witnesses was her younger sister, Sarah Ann. One day I will get to the record office in Shropshire and check the full parish register. They do give the mother as well don't they? (I've never seen one, so I don't know).

Sarah Ann was the first of James and Ann's children to have him named as father. Interestingly, Mary's nearest sister, Ellen wasn't her witness. She's still AWOL I'm afraid. I'm waiting a reply to an email from Cheshire Archives to see if they have anything on when and why Mary and Ellen were born in Nantwich Workhouse and what caused their mother Ann to be in there.

Comment

No, English marriage certs/registers don't name the mother, I'm afraid.

The parish register isn't likely to have any info that isn't on the marriage cert, but if you do want to look at it, you can order the microfilm from your nearest LDS centre.

Comment

Working...
                  X