Email Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Missing

I have been on Talktalk now for one month today. Only two people know my talktalk address as I use Gmail as a rule.

One kind lady a member sent me a new email from Yahoo to TT and all is well.

The other person (Mr.X) has sent me about twenty emails and I have not received any of them. He has not had them back from the postmaster either.

Mr.X uses Hotmail a programme that I do not know and somehow it appears to be linked into Windows Live Mail (I do not use this either).

I have just looked at his Contacts and they all come up under Windows Live Contacts and on his drop down list is Hotmail, Contacts etc. on the left hand side of his PC. Mr. X appears to need to open Contacts and click on the persons name and the email format comes up with the email address in it ready for him to complete. All very strange to me he does not seem to have the option to open Hotmail independantly of Windows Live. He does not appear to have the option to Create New Mail. Mr.X receives all that I send him.

Mr.X accepts anything that anyone puts on his PC and he has a mixture of Windows Live, Skype, Hotmail. Windows Mail has never been activated.

Any ideas please?
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Margaret, lots of people use Hotmail; it is similar to Gmail in that the emails are all held on the server rather than having an email program on your computer, such as Windows Mail, to download them. As far as I can remember from using hotmail, you can create new emails but I can't quite remember whether you have to add the email address to your contacts list first. Anyway, if he has your email address in his contacts list he should be able to send you emails. I suppose he hasn't mistyped your email address and sent them all to the wrong person? Or has he sent them as replies to your emails?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Just gone onto Hotmail and there is a "New" button in the top left-hand corner which you can click on to create a new message.
      KiteRunner

Comment

I forgot to say, if he wants to go onto Hotmail, or if you want to give it a try, you just go to http://www.hotmail.com
        KiteRunner

Comment

Hello Kite,

Mr.X is already on Hotmail but somewhere along the line it seems to be mixed up with Windows Live. Maybe he needs to put my address into his Hotmail but he goes to Contacts (that looks like Windows Mail Contacts format to me) clicks on the Icon in the address book the one that you can put an actavar on and the blank email comes up there.
          I cannot rule out that I may have something wrong with TT but until I get an email from someone who is not connected in anyway with TT - I cannot be sure. I wonder why we put ourselves through all this when we can just pick up a pen and write a letter etc. as they did in yesteryear (infact my husband still does, don't tell what I have just said).
          Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I think Hotmail is part of Windows Live now, yes. I can't see why sending an email from Windows Live / Hotmail would cause a problem unless he has your email address wrong or your ISP is throwing it out as spam. I could send you some test emails if you like - just PM me your email address if you want me to.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Trevor,
              If you are still up, can you please read through my thread and see if you have any idea's on it. I forgot to say among the vast amount of downloads that Mr.X has on his laptop he also has Skype.

Kite, has kindly sent me a few emails to test the system and they have all been fine.
              Margaret N

Comment

Hotmail and Windows Live aren't software downloaded onto his computer, though, as far as I know, Margaret, it is just a website, so I don't see that would make any difference? Did you check that he had put in your email address correctly?
                KiteRunner

Comment

Kite,
                  Yes he has my email address correct but I just have not had the time to sit down and take a close look at his laptop. His wife stands over us expecting the laptop to work like switching the TV on. All I hear her say if it is not working - I want our money back. I am sure it is just a silly function.
                  I think that I will remove my email address completely from his PC and add it again. Interesting if you google Hotmail it gives a few ideas of the things that have been happening over the last month. One I did not know was that Hotmail is only just becoming worldwide I had always thought that was the idea of it. I will stick with Gmail.
                  Thank you for your interest and I will let you know if we ever crack this problem. All was well until PC World changed things around when he had a 'Health Check' not on the NHS.
                  Margaret N

Comment

I just don't see how anything on his PC would affect Hotmail, Margaret.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Have you tried sending him an email?

If he replies to yours then it should come through to you.
                      Christine in Portugal

Comment

Christine,

Yes I send about six a day and have done so since the 10th February when I changed to TT. He receives them all and if he replies to me on the one I send it is OK. If he creates a new one it does not arrive but it does not get sent back by the Postmaster. So where does it go?
                        I have suggested that he deletes me from his contacts and that he adds me again from my next email.
                        Does Hotmail have its own address/contact list? As my address is in his Windows Contacts list which added itself automatically. I have not had a chance to look at his laptop yet as I could not miss such a lovely day in the garden.
                        Margaret N

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
                          He receives them all and if he replies to me on the one I send it is OK. If he creates a new one it does not arrive but it does not get sent back by the Postmaster. So where does it go?
                          That suggests to me that he has typed your email address in wrongly onto his contact list but the one he has typed belongs to someone else, and that person is receiving the emails that he is trying to send to you. My OH has a fairly common name and gets quite a lot of emails which are obviously intended for someone else of the same name - imagine your name is Joe Bloggs and your email address is joe.bloggs111@ispname.com and your friend mistyped it as joe.bloggs11@ispname.com then he will be sending the emails to someone else called Joe Bloggs and that is why the emails don't get bounced back.

I have suggested that he deletes me from his contacts and that he adds me again from my next email.
                          Sounds like a very good idea.

Does Hotmail have its own address/contact list?
                          Yes.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Kite, Thanks a lot you are a great help. I will try and find time to sort him out this week. I feel sure that it is in the wrong address book.

Will keep you posted.
                            Margaret N

Comment

Problem resolved - I thank you all for putting up with all my questions and moans.

I made a special visit to my friend today to view his Laptop. He had my name spelt correctly on the Display part (from: but he had reversed the 'are' part on my name in the actual jjjjjjjj@tt. He didn't think to look in that part of the address.

Many thanks I will delete this thread later tonight.
                              Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                              X