Ancestry tree contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry tree contact

I've just received a puzzling email via the Ancestry connection service which reads:

Dear [my Ancestry username],I saw that you submitted a personal tree to Ancestry which contains:
    Name: X Y
    Alternate Name: Z
    Database Name: 1871 Scotland Census
    Do you have more information about this person that you could share with me?Thank you, [name and email address]

I don't have a tree on Ancestry or Rootsweb (I just checked to make sure) but I do have X Y and Z Y in my tree. It looks like a perfectly genuine enquiry but I'm puzzled as to how he got the information. Any ideas please?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Ancestry own a few sites UJ have you got your tree online anywhere ???
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Only Tribal Pages and GR.

Comment

UJ

Did you submit a correction to the census entry, possibly? This seems to trigger off daft contacts sometimes - I don't have a tree on Ancestry either, but occasionally get these messages.

OC

Comment

When I first joined Ancestry I did have a little play around with entering a tree. I only did it for one day - not many people there. The tree is still there though and I suppose anyone could contact me about it.

I've just looked. Click on the 'Family Tree' tab at the top. I did mine on one day in 2006. I see you say you've checked this :o sorry!

If they have your user name and correct family I am at a loss to expalin it unless you did as I did and forgot??

Anne

Comment

OC: Aha, that could be it. Yes I did - problem solved!

I can contact him now.

Comment

Yes, I've had several contacts triggered by corrections, and they always come with that message. I think it must be a standard Ancestry message.

Comment

It looks like the default message that comes up when you click to contact someone, but of course you are allowed to change it! I suppose a lot of people don't bother, though.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

His email address has come up as invalid, so I've thrown myself on the mercy of the Ancestry Connection Service.

Comment

when you google a name it comes up on the find as i have done it and found my question on here is on there if you know what i mean lol brenda xxx

Comment

I had one of these the other day too via a correction I had made.
                      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I've made numerous corrections to census entries but never had a contact. I've checked that my email is current so I suppose I'm just unlucky.
                        Jenny

Comment

I was just thinking the same thing Jenny. No one contacts me either.
                          Kit

Comment

Me neither despite the corrections I make.
                            CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Well with the changeover from Connection service to messaging service coinciding with my reply, my contact may have gone into a black hole. Just a pity his email address bounced as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X