Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas finding siblings

Hi All
    I was wondering if anybody had any ideas how I could go about finding my Granddfathers Siblings.
    Here is the information I have my Grandfather was Leslie Robert Wilson now deceased. Born 12.12.1908 Scarborough, England, at 2 Mill Street. His parents Elizabeth Florence Jones and Henry Edward Wilson (musical director). I have been told that he had at least one sister known as Stella, who is no longer alive. I believe her married name was Edwards and she lived in the Heswall/Raby Mere area of Wirral.
    Heres hoping I just can't seem to get my head around this
    Thanks a lot
    Lynda

Lynda

Have you tried the 1911 census to see who was living with him and his parents.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Hi Lin
      Thanks for your reply. I have tried the 1911 census and can't find them. I assume this is because the East Riding has not been released as yet, and they must have been still living around there at this time.

Comment

I've just had a look and cant find them so you are probably right. Thought that would be too easy.

I have found parents marriage in 1904 but no stella with mothers name Wilson in or near scarborough so she might have been born before 1911.

I don't know what else to suggest but someone better that me will be able to help
        Lin

Comment

Thanks very much for your time and trying to help me out, I know I shall get to the bottom of this eventually. The family moved around a lot I have been told, do not know how true this is though.
          Anyway thanks again
          Lynda

Comment

Just to say that marriage in 1904 gives the husband's name as Henry Wilson, not Henry Edward Wilson, in case that turns out to make any difference (for instance, if you order the marriage certificate).

Stella's mother's maiden name wouldn't be Wilson, would it? But Jones? Or have I misunderstood?

Your best bet might be to wait until that bit of the 1911 census goes online, to be honest. Otherwise it could be expensive getting certificates on the offchance, with all the surnames involved being such common ones.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am awaiting the marriage certificate. They takes ages to arrive here. The last one came via France for some reason. I shall see what this tells me. I got both there full names from the birth certificate. Hopefully when the census goes online and I eventually have the certifcate I can take it from there.

Comment

Lynda - if Henry Wilson might have been in the army in WW1, it might be worth seeing if there are any service/pension records for him as they often contain lists of children with their DOBs. I've found them useful for finding children born before mother's maiden names were entered on the BMD records.
                Gillian
                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Gillian
                  Thanks a lot for that. I never even gave that a thought.

Comment

On Freebmd there's an Estello N Wilson (MMN Jones) born 3Q 1912 Oldham

geography is not my strong point so don't know if this is of any use
                    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

the lds site is good as you get the family and address brenda xxx

Comment

One other - on FreeBMD

Births Mar 1914
                        ------------------------

Wilson Lily Jones Oldham 8d 1172

Comment

Hi all
                          Thanks for your replies. I have looked into the Estello Wilson born in Oldham 1912 . It turns out in 1986 in Birkenhead an Estella Norma Edwards died dob given 3 Aug 1912. Is this a wrong spelling or a coincidence? I checked the marriages out and could only find someone of that name marrying someone else. Or did she marry again in later life? Even if I do wait for the census these births are later than 1911.
                          Thanks again for your help
                          Lynda

Comment

Lynda

When you find the 1911 census, they might be living in Oldham so that would help to tie them together.

Yesterday I looked up Wilsons with mmn Young and there were loads so 1911 a bit.
                            Lin

Comment

Oldham is in Lancashire if that helps at all. It's just north of Manchester.

Comment

As clear as mud

I have finally recieved the Marriage certificate via France as usual still waiting for the others ordered at the same time.

Details are Marraige at the Parish Church Scarborough 25th June 1904

Henry Wilson age 22 Bachelor Clerk residence 11 Vine Street Father Robert Wilson (deceased) musician

Elizabeth Florence Jones age 22 Spinster residence 11 Vine Street Father
                                Henry Jones, Foreman

Witnessed by George Hawes Leadley and Eliza Jane Leadly

Now I can find a marriage between Eliza Jane Jones and George Hawes Leadey in 1902 in Scarborough. Maybe Eliza and Elizabeth are sisters?

Just can't find any other info on this. I have been on the 1911 census. No luck there. Can't seem to find them on 1901 either. I must be overlooking something or doing something wrong.

Any suggestions where I go next? Please

Thanks Lynda

Comment

George Hawes Leadley's birth was registered Sep 1881 in Scarborough if that's any help - maybe we can find him in 1911 and see if Eliza is with him to get her birthplace and then try to find her on previous censuses.
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Possible family on 1891, although father´s occupation doesn´t match

- Ancestry.co.uk

Elizabeth F Jones, born c1883, with a sister Eliza J Jones, father Henry.
                                    RG12; Piece: 3020; Folio 12; Page 17
                                    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 24-03-09, 20:24.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Possibly the same family in 1901
                                      - Ancestry.co.uk

RG13; Piece: 3522; Folio: 144; Page: 67
                                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much for this help, going to be checking it out asap, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.

At the moment I am using Genes but am changing to Ancestry. I think this seems to be the best, as soon as my subscription runs out next month I shall do it. Not getting a lot of joy at Genes. People who would look to be very closely related do not even bother to answer, people also argue about things you have documented evidence of even down to different countries of birth and death wierd ???????

Finally recieved all the certificates that I have been awaiting, so should be neglecting the houework even more now.

Thanks again for your help

Lynda

Comment

Working...
                                        X