Topsey as a middle name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topsey as a middle name

Has anyone else seen 'Topsey' as a middle name before?

In the parish baptism record it was spelt as 'Charlotte Topsie Ede' and in the transcript of the birth register it is as 'Charlotte Topsey Ede'. I've not come across this name as a middle name before, has anyone else seen it?

When did the phrase 'Topsey Turvey' come about and how? Do you suppose she was a breech birth? She was the first child in the family that I've found and it was not her mother's maiden name.

Also which version of her name is the correct name? The name she was given in the eyes of God or the name as registered? It may be that the rector just spelt it wrong.

Perhaps it was a surname? I don't think with names there is a "correct" way its just how someone chooses to spell it.

Topsy was a black slave girl in the novel "Uncle Tom's Cabin" but I don't know if it originated there.

There's also a rugby player called Topsy Ojo, whose parents were Nigerian and according to wikipedia Topsy is a common Yoruba name.

I certainly wouldn't interpret her name as signifying that she was a breech birth.

The expression "topsy turvey" dates from at least the 16th century though its origins are obscure.
    Last edited by Little Nell; 11-03-09, 22:30.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There's only one Topsey in 1841 England census, but the number of Topsy/eys increases with each census afterwards, which might be to do with the fact that Uncle Tom's Cabin was published in 1852.

Comment

Thanks for that Little Nell!

She was born in the 1870's in Surrey and there was a 'Topsey Turvey' song that was famous in the 1890's but I did not know how long before that the phrase came into existance. It could have been a grandparent's maiden name. Perhaps I'll find out soon?!

Comment

I knew someone called Topsey, very slightly. She only died a couple of years ago at a very old age. I was surprised to see the notice in the paper with Topsey as her real forename - I had always assumed it was a nickname.

Anne

Comment

I've not read 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' so I'd not have know that. Thanks for that pointer. It could well have been where they heard the name then perhaps?

Comment

Who knows? Sometimes a book or a personality creates a trend for babies' names. There weren't any Kylies before Ms Minogue, were there?

Maybe they just heard the name and liked it, or maybe there was a Topsey who was her godmother.

It would make interesting reading if parents had to state the reasons for their name choices in baptism and birth records, wouldn't it?!

Comment

Before today's find, I would have thought of it as a nickname too Anne.

Comment

In Uncle Tom's cabin, Topsy was asked where she came from and she replied 'I specs I just growed', and that was quite a catch phrase. I understand that Topsy was also a cartoon character (post Uncle Tom's cabin). but I don't know anything more than that.

Incidently 'Wendy' was coined for Peter Pan, the author knew a little girl who said to him 'Your're my fwendy' hence the name.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                  X