help dating photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help dating photo

I'd appreciate opinions on the date of this photo so I can maybe work out which of my ancestors these are.I have "inherited" 4 of the same photo and 1 printed on glass in pale colours.My grandfather and his 3 sisters all had a copy so I think it must be a direct ancestor but how far back?My great grandfather was born 1864 and married 1885 but the couple bear no resemblance to my great grandparents.The couple seem to be working people,both have hard working hands.Looking forward to hearing what anyone thinks,I've been puzzling over this photo since I got it about 20 years ago when the last of my great aunts died.
    Liz
    Attached Files
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Hi Liz

Unfortunately the photo comes up really small and I can't make out any of the detail, particularly the photographer's name etc which is often useful for dating.

Could you put the photo on using Photobucket - that way it will be reproduced in much higher resolution.

There is a guide to using Photobucket here if you haven't used it before

How to Use Photobucket - Family Tree Forum
    Jackie

Comment

photo help

Hi Jackie
      thanks I'll try that later.Just about to take children to school .Fraid I'm dependent on computer whizz also known as younger daughter for such complicated stuff as adding photo to message !!
      Liz

Comment

My first thoughts are that this was a study taken in the 1860's going by the attire of both adults but a better image, as Jackie has suggested, would be of help to get more information from the image.

don

Comment

bailey ancestor

here it is hopefully a better size!

Comment

I agree with Don as to the dates, but I wish the baby was clearer as it looks really like a post mortem photo.

Comment

Thanks Barbara and Don, I've never heard of post mortem photos in family groups.In the glass copy the baby's right arm is blurred over mum's arm which I assumed meant baby was moving and eyes are open and looking into camera.If 1860's how would ordinary working folk afford to have photo done because wasn't photography quite new then? I couldn't find the photographer on the list on ftf .Will now look for likely ancestor couples in 1860's.Thanks, Liz

Comment

I was just reading about glass photos yesterday to get dates etc. As I understand it the glass ones were some of the first photographs to be within the price range of ordinary folk, especially for important occasions.

Mine is of a similar date and I think taken just before the lady's wedding. Like mine, this one is not taken in a 'posh' studio. The arrangement of the frame behind the woman's head is not very artistic! According to the source I was reading the photos could be had for 6d to 1/-.

Anne

Comment

photo help

Thanks Anne that's interesting.Now I wonder what the special occasion was as the baby isn't a newborn.If it's my gt gt grandparents he was a collier and their 1st child was born 1859 followed by my gt grandfather in 1864.These were their only children as far as we know and my gt gt grandmother was dead by 1871(the children then living with their Cottrell grandparents).They lived on Biddulph Moor .A fellow Bailey researcher has suggested it could be John Brown and wife Anne nee Bailey.They also lived on Biddulph Moor and there must be a connection with our Bailey branch as my gt grandmother Jessie Vyse is living with them in 1881 before her marriage in 1885 even though the Vyse branch wasn't connected to the Baileys until that marriage.Unfortunately Bailey and Brown are very common names in north staffs so it's quite hard to unravel them.I've always thought that the photo must be a direct ancestor as all my great aunts and my grandfather had a copy .The photo on glass was wrapped in brown paper and was among the papers of the eldest great aunt.It's a mystery.
                  Liz

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Hi Penelope
                      that's interesting . If I'm wrong and it's John Brown and Anne Bailey, as another researcher suggested some time ago , Anne had a child Enoch in 1853 and she married John Brown later that year.In the 1861 census he is called "wife's son" but son in 1871.There were no other children.All the Baileys seem to be distantly related and on Biddulph Moor each "CLAN" was distinguished by the use of nicknames such as pinkies,flattens etc.I think the woman looks almost hispanic,certainly seems to have very dark hair but probably just the hard outdoor life.

thanks for your help
                      Liz

Comment

I wonder which Bradley Green that is?

There's one in Cheshire between Nantwich and Wrexham.
                        Another between Worcester and Bromsgrove
                        One near Bridgwater in Somerset
                        and one near Tamworth in Warwickshire

Comment

I googled it and only one came up .... somewhere near Birmingham ... so I was looking for ? F ? Rowley in that area ...
                          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I Google mapped it and there is a pub called The Bradley Green at 68 High Street, Biddulph!!

Anne

Comment

Re. the photographer, can't find an F Rowley, but had a quick trawl of Bidduplph in 1861 and there is a 60 yr old farmer, James Rowley on the 1861 Census, in Biddulph and by some coincidence his 'cow boy' is one Eprhaim Bailey - although he comes from Cheshire so may be nothing to do with your family!

Comment

Hi all
                                as I understand it Bradley Green on old maps is part of Biddulph Staffs.Your'e all so kind trying to help!Just about to go to a western front meeting so more later.
                                Liz

Comment

Working...
                                X