A little help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help needed

I wonder if one of you knowledgeable people can help.

I have my main tree on Ancestry.

I am not looking for anybody to search for people.

Mr and Mrs Phillips had 11 children , I researched one of them a few months back helping somebody else and now I am filling in the gaps.

Walter Phillips married Matilda B Tranter 1894 , I have her family traced back with no problem.

Yesterday I researched Edwin Phillips who married Mary R Tranter 1885

As it was a few months back when I did Walter Phillips it did not immediately register about the Tranter name , then I realised that the 2 Phillips brothers had married 2 Tranter sisters.

Now, I have the Tranter family joined to Walter so if I add Mary R Tranter as a spouse of Edwin Phillips she appears as 2 persons in the list of people.

Does anybody know how I can link the Mary R Tranter that is a sibling of Matilda Tranter to be a spouse of Edwin Phillips.

Ken

Do you have 2 Mary R Tranters?
    If so, delete the one with the least information and add a new spouse. You can then select the other one to add as his wife.
    Tracy

Comment

You can do this with most family tree programs, such as Family Tree Maker, and then upload it to Ancestry. I don't know whether you can do it directly on the Ancestry site.

Comment

Sorry cannot help you Ken, but I have to say, in my opinion it is not wise to keep your master tree on an external site over which you have no control.

There are many family history programs which can be installed on your computer, including some very good free ones. They would also be able to handle the problem you have very easily. Much more secure to keep your master tree on your own computer and upload to Ancestry as and when you want to.

*tucks soapbox away again* ;)
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Orange blossom
          I have deleted the Mary Tranter I added to Edwin Phillips but I can not see how to link to the other Mary. Ahhhh I see the light now there is an option in the add spouse box to link to somebody already in the tree. Sometimes you can not see the wood for the trees . Problem solved Thanks

Hi Elaine
          I have my main tree on Ancestry but download a gedcom on a regular basis , my choice is Family Tree Builder. Don't tuck your soapbox too far away.

Ken

Comment

*fishes out Elaine's soapbox*

If I were you (and I know I'm not) I'd do it the other way round like wot Elaine said. Keep the master tree safe on your PC (and backed up) and load GEDCOMs from it to whatever online trees you choose.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

That soapbox isn't limited to Elaine! Keep your master tree on your computer using whatever prog you like and upload it to Ancestry or GR from time to time. And keep a back-up on a flash stick. The worst can happen!

Comment

I understand what you are saying , but I have my tree on my computer as a backup with a backup on my NAS drive and another copy on my laptop. When I have entered anything into Ancestry I download a gedcom then copy it.

As for keeping a copy on a flash drive well I think 3 copies is really enough.
                I honestly can not see the difference with building on Ancestry and then downloading to building on local and uploading. If Ancestry went belly up now I would only lose what I have entered this afternoon.

There are two types of people in this world , Those that back up and those that are going to lose data.

Ken

Comment

Ken

The difference is - if it is on your computer and therefore on your FH programme of choice, you can easily manipulate complicated relationships and upload to sites which cannot cope with anything odder than a stranger marrying a stranger - like GR, for instance.

Doesn't apply in this case of course, because you have seen how to do this on the Ancestry tree.

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X