Microsoft Word question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Word question

I've typed a document and would like to put a couple of separate paragraphs into a box (ie have a frame round them). I have managed to do this (not sure if I did it right though, so have undone it at the mo), but I would also like the width of the box to be narrower than the margins currently set on the page. I have read lots and lots of instructions that all sound much more complex than what I want to do :o

Can anyone please explain (very simply) how to put a box or boarder round part of my text and then reshape it to suit?

If I don't reply instantly it's because I'm eating (drinking?) a bowl of soup!

If only my son was at home he could tell me how to do it, Merry! If nobody has answered by home time I'll ask him.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you Kite, there's no rush, except I know at some point I will play too hard and will delete everything I've done! lol

Comment

The way I used to do it was to use the Text Box and insert that in the document - you can set it to whatever size you want - and whether you want lines or not around it (it depends on what v of Word you have as to where the Text Box is!)
        Is that of any help? (it's drinking I think otherwise known as slurping!!)
        Marion
        There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Try

Insert
          Text box

Type what you want in the box and you should be able to move it and resize it using the handles
          Jackie

Comment

snap to both above

Comment

Hang on then..........

Comment

I couldn't make the cursor move to underneath the text box after I'd inserted it, so I used "Draw Table" instead.
                Gillian
                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

You should be able to double click below the text box and then be able to type - if you find it a problem though make some extra lines and then put the text box in the middle.

Comment

Oooh!!

Right, I've made a text box and got it the right size with my text inside it!! Thank you so much!!!!

Now of course there's something else I want to do!!

I want the text in the box fully justified (ie lined up on both edges) but if I highlight the text in the box and click the Justify button the text moves as if you have clicked the Align Left button, shifting the text to the left (within the box) and leaving the right side wobbly!

Any ideas?? lol

Also, can I made the edge of my box heavier (ie darker/thicker)??

Comment

Not sure about the justifying - I've got a different v of Word on this puter - but with reference to the lines around the outside from memory if you double click on the text box it comes up with selections - one of which is borders (lines around I think it used to say). Will have a quick peer on this v and see what happens)

Comment

You should be able to fully justify the text by highlighting and selecting the justify icon - if it doesn't work the first time you do it just click the justify icon a second time.

There should be an option to FORMAT text box - which will allow you to change the colour/width/style of the box.
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Marion, I've managed to make it thicker etc from your instructions!!

Don't worry about the justification thing. If I centre justify it and then play around with the line length I can make it look OK even though it's not what I originally wanted!!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Comment

Hmph - this new version of Word is rather like trying to fly a plane rather than ride a bike!! All fancy bobbles and bits - no help on justifying though - sorry!

Comment

Not to worry, Marion. Thanks again

Comment

Merry, highlight text and click justify button should work. If when you do it it left aligns then just click the justify icon again.
                                Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I had actually just done that, completely by accident!

Comment

There's another way of doing it which I think is easier than using text boxes.

Highlight your text, then go to Format - Borders and Shading* which gives you lots of different options for single, double, dotted lines etc. You can choose to surround the whole paragraph with a box, or just the text you highight.

* That's what it's called in my version of Word.

Comment

Click Insert text box
                                      Ignore the text box that is placed on the page (It will say something like create drawing here) but left click and hold the button down pull a new text box to the size required (You can re-position it on the page any time you want by clicking in it and pulling on the edge).

Paste or write text inside the box.
                                      Highlight the text and use the format command to change font, or change paragraph settings (including justify text))

Various versions of Word may vary the commands slightly.
                                      Cheers
                                      Guy
                                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I have had to put together tutorials for the college staff in using Microsoft Office, as the new layout etc is confusing them.
                                        For the forum, I have uploaded them to a section of my Pursglove site.
                                        http://www.pursglove.talktalk.net/office/cover.html

So if any want to use them for their own use they will be left there until I need to use the server space

Researching:
                                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                                        X