Correct marriage ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct marriage ?

I have been looking for the marriage of William Mann and Ann Nicholls. Yesterday I was given information about a marriage between William Maun and Ann Nicholls 3q of 1838 which fits in with the birth of their first child.

My querrie is this - if I order the marriage certificate how will I know it is the right marriage particularly as I do not know the parents of either William or Ann. Also, although Maun is a similar surname it is not Mann and I believe Maun is a name in its own right. I am therefore wary of putting two and two together and making five!!

Any advice will be apprciated,

Sandra

any of the childrens baptisms on th IGI?
    Jess

Comment

You will be able to compare William's occupation on the marriage certificate (and Ann's, if she had one) with his occupation on the children's birth certificates / census entries. Also if you get a copy of the original marriage certificate with their signatures or marks on you can compare with their signatures or marks if they were the informant on the children's birth certificates etc.

Also one of them may give an address on the marriage cert which you find them at on the census.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Jess,

I have their children of which there were seven and I have just received one of their daughters birth certificates, thus establishing her mother maiden name. How would baptism dates help with my querry?

Sandra

Comment

Hi Kiterunner,

They were born and married in Shropshire, but by the time Martha Mann was born they were living in Bilston, Staffordshire. Further, William in 1841 is an Ag lab, 1851 a coal miner and 1861 a furnace man so this is dosn't help very much!!

Sandra

Comment

Well, he might still be an ag lab on the marriage cert, I suppose. And there will be the signatures or marks to compare.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi KiteRunner,

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I will have to order the certificate. Whilst it may not prove that it definately is the right certificate it could prove that is not the right couple if Williams occupation is radically different. However, knowing my luck I think this is unlikley.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
              X