Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Channell family

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help me.
    I've been looking for my mother in laws family over the past few months, mil doesn't know much about her family at all.

I have in my hand here a marriage certificate of mil's parents.
    her father is George Walter Channell dob 25th Dec 1904 but she doesn't know where he was born.
    Her mum is Dorothy Hornby dob 31st Dec 1904, the same, no idea of where she was born.
    There marriage 23rd September 1931 In Roffey, Horsham, West Sussex.
    I do know that Dorothy was reputed to have been moved to the the family of the Gumm's in Warnham, Horsham during her childhood and remained there until her marriage.

On the cert it claims that the father of George Walter Channell is Charles Walter Channell, Gardener.
    The witnesses on the cert are Rosina Caroline Gumm and Alfred Gumm both from Warnham, near Horsham, W Sx.

Now checking on the 1911 Census I have found George Walter Channell with 1 sibling, but it states his father is Walter John Channell , dob 1868 Rogate, Sx.
    Do you think this is correct and a lie been told on the marriage cert , or do you think I have the wrong family on 1911?

Many thanks for anyone who can help.
    Mil is coming over this afternoon to chat about family things and to try and see if she can remember any more info.

It could be that the name on the census is wrong, though, rather than the name on the marriage certificate. Have you looked for a birth registration for George Walter Channell?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes I have looked for a birth of George Walter Channell,but either I have missed it or I'm doing something wrong but I didn't find it. :o

Comment

Hmm, looking at FreeBMD I can't see any Charles Walter Channell but there is a Walter John Channell born at the right time in the right place. I can't see George's birth reg on there. Does Walter's occupation in 1911 match the one on the marriage cert?
        KiteRunner

Comment

This is the best match I can see on FreeBMD. No George Walter.

Births Sep 1905
          Channell Walter John Southampton 2c 4

Comment

This looks like the best bet for Dorothy:

Births Mar 1905
            Hornby Dorothy Horsham 2b 305
            Hornby Walter Horsham 2b 305

Looks like she had a twin.

Comment

Yes it does match the same.
              I forgot to add, just checked on 1911 and it says George Walter was born in Dublin, Ireland! and that mil has just informed me that he had 2 brothers called Jack and Patrick and a sister Margaret.
              Mil is Margaret as well.

Comment

Yes Dorothy was a twin and it was a boy died at birth.

Comment

Deaths Mar 1905
                  Hornby Walter 0 Horsham 2b _24

Comment

Ooh, yes, George Walter Channell's birth registration is listed on the Irish BMD indexes, Jan-Mar 1904 Dublin South registration district.

But I can't think at the moment how you can be sure this George is your one. It is a rare name, though.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

This should be Walter's father:

Births Dec 1867
                      Channell Walter John Midhurst 2b 325

Comment

Oh yes, I know - the year is wrong for the info you have, as your George is supposed to have been born 25th Dec 1904, but if you can get that Irish birth certificate and check the date of birth, if it says 25th Dec 1903 then I would say it must be the same person.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

As Walter's father was born in England, I wonder if he was a soldier serving in Ireland when his son was born?

Comment

I suppose I am just hoping that this is his birth, I cannot for the life of me find a George Walter anywhere in the uk under births.
                            That is definately his name as it is on mil's birth cert

Comment

Ah right, that makes sense now.

Mary you could have a point there.

Comment

I can't see Walter John or Charles Walter in 1891 or 1901, but Walter J Channel is on the 1881 census, born in Rogate, Sussex, c. 1868.

Class: RG11; Piece: 1134; Folio: 19; Page: 1

Comment

Right I have looked up the WW1 info on Walter John Channell, he joined the Royal Irish Rifles!!!! in Belfast, 10th August 1888
                                  So that would be why George Walter was bon in Ireland
                                  It also says on the page that Walter John Channell came from Rogate, near Petworth, Sussex.
                                  He was 20yrs and 9 months.
                                  Last edited by Bluedew; 11-03-09, 11:42.

Comment

Army records often give details of the soldier's marriage and children - I don't suppose it gives George's exact date of birth on there, does it?
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Kite all I can see on it is his age at joining, 20 yrs and 9 months, date joining is 10th August 1888,
                                      its Walter John Channell's joining up papers

Comment

Yes, it does have details of his marriage and children, if you keep looking through the pages.

Married Mary Ann Champion at Witley, Surrey, 3/3/03, by Rev E J Seymour, vicar, witnesses Mary A Champion and W H Champion,
                                        Children Walter George born 25/12/03 Dublin, baptised 6/1/04 Dublin by Rev. Nash
                                        William Patrick 17/3/06 Dublin baptised "1/4/04" (presumably should say 1/4/06) Dublin by Rev N E Vernon Harrison.

So George's first names are swapped around in there but the crucial thing is his date of birth was indeed 25th December, which matches the info you have from your MIL.
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X