advice wanted for Windows Vista installation to laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice wanted for Windows Vista installation to laptop

good morning...I have a Packard Bell easynote b Laptop with Windows XP that I lent out to a friend...it has come back and now won`t play any dvd`s for my grandchildren to watch....don`t know what the problem is ...but I have a Windows Vista disc from this pc I am using now...I have tried to install Vista but my laptop states I haven`t enough room for it...is it possible to Delete the existing XP and then install Vista ?.....if so ,could someone advise me how to go about it please.....thanks...allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Allan, it could well be that the laptop doesn't have enough memory to install Vista, because it needs a lot more than XP does. I don't know whether that would solve the DVD problem, anyway. What happens when you insert a DVD?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oops, and I forgot to say, if you did manage to install Vista from that disk then I don't know whether the licence would cover both computers - you might fall foul of that Windows Genuine Advantage thing.
      KiteRunner

Comment

I would have thought that if I purchased the Vista ,I could use it on any pc ?...anyway it states on the screen...
        Windows Media cannot play this DVD because a compatible DVD De coder is not installed on your computer
        I`ve played dvds on this laptop for 2 years...its so handy for the grandkids and also when we go on holiday...I just can`t think what he`s done to my laptop....thanks for taking the time to help...allan;)
        btw...it says I have 192 bytes left and I need 513 to install Vista...allan
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Have you tried a different DVD in case it is just a problem with that particular disk, Allan?

As for vista, I think the licence would only allow you to have it installed on one computer.
          KiteRunner

Comment

thanks Kiterunner...I have just clicked onto Control panel and then sound and audio properties and it states "NO AUDIO DEVICE"...??? any ideas what this means....the volume control box is at ZERO and the box is very very faint...I can`t adjust the volume.....on the control panel which one is the dvd programme ?...it looks like he`s wiped out the dvd and volume settings....I`m confused...this laptop was £550...and I think I now can`t have any sound/vision thru a disc.....??....thanks again for your input...allan

Comment

Hi Alan, if you Google the error message, you'll find that a lot of people have this problem with Windows Media Player.

Here's one of the threads: Playing a dvd on Windows media player in Player Plugins
              Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                thanks Kiterunner...I have just clicked onto Control panel and then sound and audio properties and it states "NO AUDIO DEVICE"...??? any ideas what this means....the volume control box is at ZERO and the box is very very faint...I can`t adjust the volume.....on the control panel which one is the dvd programme ?...it looks like he`s wiped out the dvd and volume settings....I`m confused...this laptop was £550...and I think I now can`t have any sound/vision thru a disc.....??....thanks again for your input...allan
                That sounds like your audio drivers have been lost or corrupted.

Did your friend have your laptop for a long time? If it was just for a short while (couple of days) maybe you can do a system restore to before he had it?
                Sarah

Comment

thanks Sarah....the actual settings for the volume are just about visible but I am not able to change any settings...do you think I will have to take it to be repaired ?...allan:(
                  added...We went to Orlando on 14th dec and I lent it to him then...only tried it last night...allan

Comment

Looks like Windows Media Player doesn't play DVDs unless you purchase/install a decoder for it. Were you using Windows Media Player to play DVDs before? Or were you using a different program?

Info about Windows Media Player plug-ins can be found here: Plug-ins for Windows Media Player
                    Sarah

Comment

thanks Sarah....the actual settings for the volume are just about visible but I am not able to change any settings...do you think I will have to take it to be repaired ?...allan:(
                      added...We went to Orlando on 14th dec and I lent it to him then...only tried it last night...allan
                      I lost my audio after an optional update last weekend and had eventually got it back after undoing a whole set of updates and uninstalling and reinstalling some drivers through trial and error, but I don't have enough knowlege in that area to explain to someone else how to go about it, especially as your system will be different than mine.
                      With a bit of luck one of the experts (Dave or Grimsqueaker) might have some suggestions for you.
                      Sarah

Comment

thanks Sarah....I think I`ll have to get some professional help...so annoyed as I was doing him a favour....thanks again...allan;)

Comment

It might be worth checking to see whether you can do a system restore back to before your friend had the computer. Vista only lets me restore to a few days back, but I seem to remember I could restore back much further with XP.

More info here: Windows XP System Restore Is Easy to Use and How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
                          Sarah

Comment

good morning...I have a Packard Bell easynote b Laptop with Windows XP that I lent out to a friend...it has come back and now won`t play any dvd`s for my grandchildren to watch....don`t know what the problem is ...but I have a Windows Vista disc from this pc I am using now...I have tried to install Vista but my laptop states I haven`t enough room for it...is it possible to Delete the existing XP and then install Vista ?.....if so ,could someone advise me how to go about it please.....thanks...allan

Assuming this is a consumer edition of Vista (ie: basic, home premium or ultimate) then the licence you have is for installation on one PC... any more and you are in breach of that licence...
                            If that copy of vista was preinstalled on the pc when you purchased it and the licence sticker is attached to the case of the PC, then it is an OEM copy and Micosofts licensing states that the copy of vista can only be used on that PC, it is not transferable..

How much memory do you have installed in the laptop, judging by the model and other info you have given, I would be surprised if there is enough for vista to be able to run. Deleting the XP installation will not alter this..

From your posts it appears that there may be more amiss than just not being able to play DVDs, and not knowing how the laptop was being used or what has been installed, you may be better off reinstalling windows XP from either the CD's that came with the laptop or the recovery set that you would have been prompted to create when you first booted it after purchasing.
                            If you didnt create the disks you may still have a recovery partition on the laptop, but if not then your only option for reinstalling XP would be to either purchase recovery CD's from packard bell (if they still have them for your model) or to buy a retail copy of XP..
                            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Has your laptop got Windows automatic updates turned on, Allan? If not, then you could go to the Windows update site and install any updates it offers you - sometimes that fixes problems. For instance, our laptop had a problem with the display but when I installed a load of updates it went back to normal.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Good morning Garstonite. I wonder if your friend altered the region settings for playing DVDs. Europe is Region 2, they may have had USA region DVDs.

Try reading this link. Got to be careful about the number of times the settings are changed. DVD Region Settings - WorldStart Computer Tips and Computer Help

Good luck

Linda
                                Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

thank you both...yes it has got windows update...seen that this morning but I don`t know whether its turned on...I`ve put the laptop away now..I became really frustrated thinking of how I was let down....I`ll have another go later....thanks again...I`ll let you know the results...do I have to be online to complete Windows Update ?...allan
                                  ADDED...Thanks Lynda...I haven`t even got any sound so I don`t think its to do with the dvd/europe setting...he`s somehow deletd all audio and dvd playing settings...cheers...allan
                                  Last edited by garstonite; 11-03-09, 09:18.

Comment

do I have to be online to complete Windows Update ?...
                                    Yes, you do.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

thanks Kiterunner...I`m off to Liverpool City Centre soon...I`ll have a go tomorrow morning....allan;)

Comment

Working...
                                      X