No announcement yet.

Great granny doesn't exist before 1902!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great granny doesn't exist before 1902!

I would be very grateful if you would cast your experienced eyes over this problem.

Marriage

Charlotte Maria Doncaster married Walter Jarrett in Marylebone in 1902.

Her age is given as 23 - so approx YOB 1879

Father - William Henry Docaster decd - coach painter

1911 census

Charlotte's POB given as Kensington and confirmed as approx 1879.

She fibs about length of time married - says 13 years could only have been 9. Probably fibbed as first child was born September quarter 1901 - Frances Rose Jarrett.

My problem is that I can't find a Charlotte Doncaster on any census with the father William Henry.

I have bought both birth certificates for the Charlotte Doncasters born in Hackney and Lambeth.

The Lambeth Charlotte has the father Edmund Henry who is a bootmaker

Sorry - must have hit the wrong button as half the post was lost.

The Hackney Charlotte has the father James who was a policeman.

There is a Maria Doncaster born 1879 Kensington with the father Henry. Birth certificate says his occupation is labourer and the address is 16 Hayden Mews Kensington. This family on the 1881 doesn't have a Maria with them but Henry's occupation is painters labourer.

Can anyone give me some ideas about where to go with this info.

Thanks
    Dee

Comment

Is it possible that her father died when she was young? If so, then he wouldn't appear on the census. It isn't always the case that the father is listed as deceased on the marriage cert.

Comment

another possibility is that she was born with a different surname and Doncaster was the name of her stepfather.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Or Henry the painter's labourer got bigged up into coach painter - or perhaps had graduated to coach painter by the time of his daughter's marriage and his daughter was either known by middle name Maria or decided to add Charlotte to it.

i have several brides who changed their name on marriage. husband's gt gran Rose changed into Rosella and plain old Annie became Elizabeth Anne.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

her mother -whoever she is, may well have married Mr Doncaster after she was born and she assumed the name Doncaster.
            Jess

Comment

Hi Margaret

Yes he was listed as deceased on the marriage certificate.

Comment

My goodness - you're all so fast!!

One of the witnesses to her marriage was a W H Doncaster. The family in Kensington do have a son called William but am I just trying to make things fit for convenience?

Comment

Is this her?

RG11; Piece: 963; Folio: 151; Page: 37

It's a convolescent home in Herne, Kent. She is described as a patient

Age is a bit out though. This one's aged 4

Comment

A pupil at Kensington and Chelsea District Branch School

RG12; Piece: 35; Folio 160; Page 2

listed as Maria aged 11

Comment

Surely names of witnesses would be useful if they turned out to be family members - especially if her father were dead. IF it were a brother perhaps he was standing in for her father.

I've had several marriages certificates where the witnesses were family members and that helped me to be sure I had the correct certificate.

Comment

Do you have her birth cert?

What was her mother's name?

Comment

Hi Margaret

I saw those entries and at first thought they were two separate people but I'm beginning to wonder if they are actually one and the same.

I worked out the Kensington and District school was an orphanage and thought both parents must be dead by this time.
                          Last edited by granniedee; 10-03-09, 19:42.

Comment

I have three birth certificates!!

Charlotte born in Hackney - father James/mother Elizabeth

Charlotte born in Lambeth - father Edmund/mother Amelia

Maria born in Kensington - father Henry/mother Susan

Comment

Have you found her father's death?

Comment

Here we are:

Henry and Susan Doncaster. Henry is a painters labourer

RG11; Piece: 36; Folio: 32; Page: 3;

If that is Charlotte in hospital then it all fits.

Comment

Deaths

Susan Doncaster

Jun qtr 1884 aged 45

Uxbridge
                                  3a 25

Comment

There are lots of other children on that 1881 census to follow up though.

Comment

Checked freeBMD

Edmund Henry Doncaster died in 1877 - four years after the Charlotte in Lambeth was born and two years before my Charlotte/Maria was supposedly born.

Susan Doncaster died in 1884 and there is a death for a William Henry Doncaster in the March quarter 1891.

Comment

Blimey - you lot have got fingers like lightning!!

I have looked closely at the Henry/Susan family - just in case. There is a tree on Ancestry that has this family - all except Maria. Which made me think they've missed her because of a name change.

I did contact the owner but there was no response unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                        X