Being sure about common surnames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being sure about common surnames

Can anyone offer advice please about establishing correct information when dealing with common surnames?

I think this may be the reference for ancestors in Southampton in 1851

HO107; Piece: 1669; Folio: 505; Page: 18

I am looking at the JONES family, headed by Geo(rge)

First problem is that my great grandmother Charlotte Alice is not shown, ...but a son Charles is named there....So is this my family?
    I have a birth certificate for Charlotte Alice b.Nov 1846 in Southampton to George and Emily JONES (nee POWELL)
    I have viewed parish records for St Marys, Southampton and have found no mention of a Charles.

Emily states in 1851 that she was born Durley, ...but I haven't found her in the parish register for Durley. The IGI shows the baptism of an Emily POWELL in Bishopstoke with father Mark ( as on POWELL= JONES marriage certificate) but is she 'my' Emily.?

Am I stuck or can I go back with any certainty?

re Emily - do you have the marriage cert? Does it show her father as Mark on there? Could be the right one.

When did Charlotte marry? I can't find any trace of her at all lol
    Tracy

Comment

Emily and George married in Southampton Register Office in 1845....have a copy of cert.
      Her father was Mark POWELL, a labourer.
      George's father was James JONES, a labourer.

Charlotte Alice JONES married William Charles SHEATH in St Marys Parish Church, Southampton in 1865.
      I have never yet found her in 1861.

I have a death cert for an Emily JONES,in 1855 which hopefully is the correct one.She is 37 and wife of George, a labourer.

Comment

I'm struggling with this one... she doesn't appear to be anywhere!

It is possible Charles is Charlotte, but it does state one the census image that it's a male. Could be wrong, but who knows. Can't find any of them in 1861.
        Tracy

Comment

Thank you for looking Tracy.

These Hampshire JONES are more trouble than my Welsh ones !

Comment

Have you tried SHEAF? There are many Sheaths and Sheafs here on the Island and around Southampton area and they are always getting muddled up.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Could this be them in 1871

RG10; Piece: 1189; Folio: 101; Page: 33
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thank you Wendy.
                Yes that is the correct family in 1871.
                William Charles died in 1876 and by 1881 Charlotte had moved the family to Portsmouth, but I would have expected to find her still in Southampton area in 1861...but where?

I know what you mean about the SHEATH surname,in that area ... They are the equivalent of SMITHs elsewhere,in frequency.
                I have some I o W ones 'waiting in the wings' to attach to my family, if ever I find a sure connection.

Comment

The discussion on another thread about recording siblings and their families has just proved very useful. I had one of OH's ancestors recorded in 1901 as a boarder with a family whose surname meant nothing to me. He married a year later in the same area. Until 2 days ago I had no idea who these people were but thanks to a One World Tree on Ancestry I've discovered they are his wife-to-be's eldest sister and her family.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts Uncle John.
                    It is indeed very useful to look at 'the bigger picture' and so then possibly link extra people into the family group.
                    I have a whole collection of 'siblings' waiting for William Charles' father, Henry, if only I could prove his parentage.......
                    This family are so full of difficulties when researching.

Comment

Working...
                    X