Question about Booth's Poverty Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Booth's Poverty Map

I've just looked up a 1911 address on Booth's Poverty map, but it's in the grey area around the City of London - Vine St next to The Minories, just north of Tower Bridge and immediately to the eest of Whitechapel and Stepney.

Is there a reason this area wasn't investigated by Booth?

I know that the City of London wasn't investigated as it wasn't considered to have enough people living there, could this be the same?

Comment

This is from the description of the areas covered on the LSE site.

"The City of London was not included in the street level survey because it did not house any significant number of residents. For this reason, the City of London remains uncoloured and unclassified on the maps."

Poverty maps of London (Charles Booth Online Archive)

Is that the area you are looking at?
      Jackie

Comment

Or, ( I've just been back and had a look,) could it in fact be light blue?

Comment

Hi, Night Owl, .......:D

Comment

Cooee Barbara - we must have posted at the same time
            Jackie

Comment

Great minds think alike eh?.......:D

Comment

Thanks very much. Where this family lived was actually highly populated (and v poor, I think) but I suppose they ahd to make the boundary somewhere and they are just in The City as the child aged 6 weeks in the house was b in London City district!

Comment

My great great grandad was born in the Minories, just on the border of the city, albeit a bit earlier late 1860's, but it was a bad area then, and very poor. Would be suprised if it had got signifcantly better by 1911.

Comment

I spent a day in that area a couple of months ago, mainly spending the time wandering round Spitalfields, it really isn't far from where you are talking about to "Old Nicol" considered the very poorest part of the area, so poor it was, from what I can gather, one of the earliest slum clearance areas! (Arnold Circus now)

Shame your area isn't on the Booth maps Merry, it is quite a fascinating insight!
                    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

That address isn't, but three other addresses for the same people are. One of them is the darkest black colour - where a lady and her children were living after she was widowed. The other two streets are the lightest red shade which is a bit better - before she was widowed and after she remarried.

Comment

Working...
                      X