Strange middle names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange middle names

Can anyone shine a light on this information. According to the IGI supplied by the LDS my ancestor Henry Mount had the middle name "Ferreri", his sister Sarah "Levens" and his brother John "Morgan". They were all baptised at the Church of St Mary, Marylebone London between 1810 and 1815 . Henry used his middle name on his marriage certificate and his children's birth certificates using a variety of spellings including "Fereria" and" Ferrara". I don't think he could write so he wouldn't have known the spelling.
    Family history mentions a link with France. Could this be correct, or do you think there is some other explanation?

OH's line has a few definite middle names that can be traced through the family.

Mine, on the other hand, have odd ones..lol

My Huband family has Morgan, Scobell, Tracy,Yeo. I know the Scobell is in the mother's family, but the rest happen to be the local townfolk's surnames. There's the solicitor, teacher and butcher.................No idea why???

Can you go back another couple of generations to see if they fit as family names??

I ended up tracking mine through the local town directory.

Comment

They don't sound like French names. Ferrara is a place in Italy, for example. Fereria sounds more Spanish.

I wonder if maybe he was in the army and served abroad?

Comment

Could they be the godparents' surnames?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

may just wanted to have flattered a local ? Maybe their rich employer in the hope that they would look kindly upon their employees offspring one day?

My brother got lumbered with MMN as his middle - he hated it - said his middle name was David when it was nothing of the sort, although it began with D.

He so hated it, that when he died it didnt go on his headstone. When he knew he was dying he made two stipulations ....

1 Bury me, dont cremate me
          2 Dont put that stupid name on my headstone :D
          Jess

Comment

Working...
          X