Help - Ancestry has "lost" my tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Ancestry has "lost" my tree

have tried to access my main tree this morning and am getting the message "This tree is empty"
    I have therefore lost 900 people and am in a state of panic!
    I've tried logging in and out and in again. HELP

I would suggest a rather urgent phone call - may just be a blip in the system. Fingers crossed.

Are you in the UK - if so contact details are:
    Telephone 0800 404 9723 (free phone).
    Hours are Monday through Friday from 09:00 GMT to 19:00 GMT, and Saturday from 09:00 GMT to 17:00 GMT.
    Elaine

Comment

Hopefully it's just a glitch with the Ancestry site. Just checked my tree and it has disappeared too. :( It just takes me straight to the Start Your Tree page. I also have guest access to two other people's trees and those don't show up either.
      Sarah

Comment

It appears they are doing maintenance. I have this message against my tree:
        We're sorry for the inconvenience, but our Family Trees are undergoing maintenance. Please check back soon.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Cloggie

As Cloggie's lost her tree I'm hoping this is just temporary - will phone Ancestry later if the trees don't reappear.
          Not panicking quite so much................................yet
          J

Comment

Phew, thanks for that Elaine.
            Sarah

Comment

I wrote to them yesterday about not being able to get replies to the connection service for trees on there, hope thats what they are doing.

Sylvia
              Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
              Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
              Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

They're back:D Phew and mops sweat from brow
                Thanks for replies J

Comment

Now make sure to download your tree and back it up!
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

*Gets out soapbox*

You should never rely on a third party to keep the master copy of your tree secure.
                    There are plenty of family history programs which can be installed on your own computer, some of which are free. Always keep the master copy of your tree under your control.
                    Elaine

Comment

Although I keep my master copy of my tree on my computer, I'd still be very upset if my tree on Ancestry were lost. Although I could easily upload a new gedcom, I'd have to re-upload all the photos manually.

I totally agree though that you should keep the master copy on your PC and not online.
                      Last edited by Cloggie; 10-03-09, 13:40.
                      Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        *Gets out soapbox*

You should never rely on a third party to keep the master copy of your tree secure.
                        There are plenty of family history programs which can be installed on your own computer, some of which are free. Always keep the master copy of your tree under your control.
                        *Joins Elaine on her soapbox* -- shove over a bit :p

Always always have your master copy of your tree on your own computer. I have a tree on Ancestry and Tribal Pages. There are no photos on it, just an uploaded gedcom which I can easily replace.

I don't see the point of photos etc except on my FTM as I never allow anyone to view my whole tree. They are welcome to parts of it by email with pleasure, including photos.

Comment

The only reason I have a tree on Ancestry is so I can share it and some accompanying photos with family.
                          I don't allow anyone else to view it, but am happy to share relevant info by e-mail.
                          Sarah

Comment

Working...
                          X