different way of thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different way of thinking

some of you may remember my florence conway, daughter of james conway a butler, and sarah (ingle). i have florence and sarah on every census.

here's the links to the thread's if anyone wants to brush up:

instead of trying to find james on any census, i would like to explore why florence believed he was her father.

why did she believe that her father was called james conway, and was a butler, that may or may not have worked for her husband's family?
    i need her birth cert, registered under ingle, but it's highly likely that this was illegitimacy, not bigamy.

why would sarah lie? any ideas as to why a man that seems to be on existant, was believed to be a father?

Yes, I remember them well! My guess would be that was what her mother told her, whether it was true or not. And just because we haven't found James yet doesn't mean that he didn't exist.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

As you have said yourself, you do need Florence's birth certificate. This may give you no additional information, but you cannot tell until you get it.

As a butler, James could have been working in Ireland, Scotland or even on the continent at the date of the census if his employers were wealthy enough to have more than one establishment. Because the census is just a snapshot, it may be entirely unrepresentative of where he usually lived, which at other times of year might have been London.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

You might get lucky like I did on one birth certificate! The birth was illegitimate but the father's name HAD been put in. The Registrar had then crossed it out and correctly indexed the alteration BUT ....

.... you could still clearly see the father's name in spite of the crossing out!!!

Anne

Comment

i need the cert anyway, but wouldn't it just tell me what i already know if he was listed?

Comment

Working...
          X