jewish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jewish?

i have for some time thought this surname may be jewish, but based only when you pronounce it. i had a friend in school last few years, who was jewish and she said it was possible.

hentschke/henschke- my lot come from silesia, now modern day poland.

any thoughts?

Have you tried any of the Jewish sites ?

Comment

Try googling the name - there is a site for those family trees.

Anne

Comment

Could be Jewish but equally could be German/Russian etc.

Forenames are a better indicator of whether a family is Jewish or not.

OC

Comment

Redacted
          Last edited by Penelope; 10-03-09, 12:18.

Comment

I think Moses is quite a common surname in Wales, Penelope, perhaps taken from Moses being used as a first name?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Penelope

I agree with what you say - Old Testament names merely reflect nonconformity, not necessarily Hebrew origins.

However, a non-English surname like Hentschke, coupled with forenames like Moses, Abraham etc would be a good indicator of Jewish ethnicity I think, whereas forenames like William and Anne wouldn't be!

OC

Comment

Hubby has a Anne or two in his ancestry and they are definitely Jewish. Equally they could be Catholic.

Comment

Only some first names are considered Jewish but plenty of names used routinely originated in the Bible; Mary, Elizabeth, David, Susanna, Judith, Andrew etc.

A Jewish first name doesn't mean you are Jewish any more than a Saxon one means you are German!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

the man's name is johann traugott hentscke, he married johanne julianne kugler.
                    they're from zagan in modern poland, but at the time it was prussia, around 1820. i was just wondering about the surname.

Comment

Try searching on JewishGen: The Home of Jewish Genealogy

This is probably the most comprehensive Jewish site around, and it is free.

I have had a quick look, and although there aren't many matches for Hentschke/Henschke, Kugler brings back loads.

It might be worth asking on the forums there, as there may well be other people researching your names or towns.
                      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Johann isn't a Jewish forename, so I wouldn't immediately think he was Jewish, but that's just a feeling, nothing else.

OC

Comment

But Johann is biblical - John the Baptist is generally presumed to have been Jewish - if somewhat eccentric.

There have been spells of time when biblical names have been very fashionable amongst one group or another. I was looking at someone's tree on GR, yesterday. A man had had two marriages. The children of the first had names such as Ann and William, the children of the second had some seriously formidable biblical names, most of which are never heard of now! At a guess, I'd say that the second wife was from a more fundamentalist family.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

the children had conventional names so im not sure. thanx for the site, ill check it out.

children were johanne auguste ernstine, johanne henriette, and heinrich ernst.

Comment

They don't sound Jewish, do they?
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

no they don't, it was just the surname that could have been. i suppose it's possible the surname could have been jewish, but the family swapped faiths?

Comment

I suspect that my grandmother's German ancestors swapped faiths. Although I knew them as Catholic, there are many snippets of family traditions I remember as a child which have a distinctly Jewish slant. Apologies for the stereotyping but most of the family were tailors, many 'family' recipies were Jewish in origin and photos I have seen, and my father, had a classic Jewish look. Added to this when they first came to England they were living in a strongly Jewish area of London.

Of course this could all be coincidence, but I have read that many Jews did convert to Catholisism to avoid persecution, and with the change of faith usually came a change in spelling of the surname.
                                  Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                                  Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                                  Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                                  Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

that's very interesting pete. it's hard to find anything online that tells the origins of german surnames. i can find plenty on english surnames, but it would be interesting to know origins for german surnames.

Comment

Kugler or Krugler came from Switzerland. I have some in my tree.
                                      In the german-GenWiki i found this:

Henschke (surname.)
                                      from GenWiki, the genealogical dictionary for going along with that.
                                      Change: Navigation, search
                                      Table of contents
                                      [Hide]
                                      1 origin and meaning
                                      2 variants of the name
                                      3 geographical one distribution
                                      3.1 Silesia
                                      4 acquaintances named carrier
                                      5 other persons
                                      6 geographical names
                                      7 remarks
                                      8 references
                                      9 data from FOKO
                                      10 web links
                                      11 family researchers

Origin and meaning
                                      Johannes was one of the most popular Christian names in the Middle Ages; the different, from the derived one are appropriately frequent named forms.
                                      So it is not surprising that Hans Bahlow alone for the region Silesia mentions and covers documentarily at least ten different variations. Here a list of the separately callable surnames which can all of them be explained by the Christian name of Johanne:

Haschke
                                      Hennig
                                      Hannig
                                      Hensel
                                      Henschel
                                      Henschke
                                      Jänsch
                                      Jäschke
                                      Jenke
                                      Jochmann

already in the antiquity extremely popular: Johannes is of the Greek form of the Hebrew Yochanan in the meaning "the sir has proved mercy". A birth understood as present became bezeichnet. [1] in the Judaism with that
                                      By the tradition of the New Testament attain both Johannes of the Täufer as a forerunner of the liberator and the apostles' Johannes as a favourite disciple Jesu to meaning. Furthermore there is a large number of Christian martyrs and saints of this name. Many baptizing churches and chapels are dedicated to the Täufer Johannes worden. [2]
                                      K suffix becomes the named versions Hanschke/Hantschke or Henschke/Hentschke formed from Hans or Hantsch by means of one, another four members from the large family of the short and pet names of Johannes.
                                      Variants of the name

Henschke
                                      Hentschke
                                      Hanschke
                                      Hantschke
                                      Hantsch = Hancz Rycholff = Hannus Reycholff, 1367ff Liegnitz
                                      Hancz von Zarow, 1349 Breslau[3]
                                      Hantschco Richard, 1372/81 Liegnitz
                                      Hantsche Grofeendirlyn, 1411 Liegnitz = Hentschil Grofeendirlyn, 1424 Liegnitz
                                      Caspar Hantschcz, 1427ff Görlitz

Wolf

Comment

I was going to say its not a Jewish name but the post above pretty much confirms that.

I would think it's of Prussian origin.

Comment

Working...
                                        X