Marriage register lists, omissions and errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage register lists, omissions and errors

I have been building a tree of OHs side of the family and can get on both his father's and mother's side, four generations and no further. To get to the point, I thought I'd check anyway, as OHs parents weren't sure their grandparents were married before they left Russia. I found that half the pages have been blanked out and wondered why, does anyone know? Also, the family think my FiL's GP's were buried in Leeds but I can't find any record, is this because they were buried using their original names, rather than the ones they used when they came to the UK?

Also one of my MiL's cousins was born after WW2 and I have tracked down the only person of the right age, same name but the middle initial is wrong. A J could be mistaken for an S and the clincher was the mothers maiden name, C!!i???, though the area of birth registration seems wrong. Does this kind of thing happen often?

I found that half the pages have been blanked out and wondered why
    Sorry, What pages do you mean?

Also, the family think my FiL's GP's were buried in Leeds but I can't find any record, is this because they were buried using their original names, rather than the ones they used when they came to the UK?
    It could be, but is it that you have dates from the death registrations or that you can't find the death registrations either? What sort of date are we talking about?

A J could be mistaken for an S and the clincher was the mothers maiden name, C!!i???,
    It could be a mistake in the index, or that the birth name isn't what she came to be known as, or that there's more than one couple surname X mmn Y and this isn't the right birth!

Comment

When you look up the Marriage Index for 1837 onwards, I looked at some pages for the early 1900s and noticed that half the page had been blanked out and the same was true of a few years.

I was looking for a Reuben and Rebecca Jacobs, who I think must have married around 1902-1904, as children were registered under the UK birth index but I haven't been able to find an entry on the index for a marriage. What I think is really strange is that I can find no record of them being buried, unless the people doing the records weren't given access to the burial records for some reason. My FiL was evacuated to Leeds just after WW2 and stayed with them and thinks they died about 1949ish.

As for my queries on the mystery lady, she is still very much alive, so I will have to make some discreet enquiries. Another relative I am having difficulty in finding her birth registration is a 97 year old aunt of my MiL, a friend has tried too and has drawn a blank. We found a registration of marriage for her and one of her daughters but not the other (our mystery lady who happens to be the right age).
      Last edited by LorraineJ; 09-03-09, 21:32.

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post

I was looking for a Reuben and Rebecca Jacobs, who I think must have married around 1902-1904, as children were registered under the UK birth index but I haven't been able to find an entry on the index for a marriage. .
        If you find them on the 1911 census it might help as it should give the number of years they have been married. Do you have one of the children´s birth certificates as it would give mother´s maiden name, which again could help in locating the marriage.
        Elaine

Comment

When you look up the Marriage Index for 1837 onwards, I looked at some pages for the early 1900s and noticed that half the page had been blanked out and the same was true of a few years.

I must have looked up literally thousands of BMD index records over the years and I can't remember ever coming across that except for the last page of any letter of the alphabet. Have you got an example?

I was looking for a Reuben and Rebecca Jacobs, who I think must have married around 1902-1904, as children were registered under the UK birth index but I haven't been able to find an entry on the index for a marriage.
          Do you have Rebecca's maiden surname?

What I think is really strange is that I can find no record of them being buried, unless the people doing the records weren't given access to the burial records for some reason. My FiL was evacuated to Leeds just after WW2 and stayed with them and thinks they died about 1949ish.
          Have you found their death registrations?

Another relative I am having difficulty in finding her birth registration is a 97 year old aunt of my MiL, a friend has tried too and has drawn a blank. We found a registration of marriage for her and one of her daughters but not the other (our mystery lady who happens to be the right age).
          How wide have you spread the net date-wise? Is it possible her birth surname wasn't the surname she married with? Are you looking at the full indexes or FreeBMD?

Comment

There are very few Jewish burial records on line. You would need to know where they died first, then make some guesses as to where they were buried.

Like Merry, I have never yet seen blanked out pages on the GRO indexes - what site are you using to look for them?

OC

Comment

I wonder if there was a problem with the index images loading on your computer? If you're viewing the indexes on ancestry then you could try switching from the enhanced to the basic viewer, or vice versa, and see if that makes the full pages come up?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I don't think it's very strange that you can't find their burials, to be honest, because lots of local authority cemeteries don't have their records online (yet); not really sure what you mean about the people doing the records not having access to burial records - usually you would need to contact whoever is in charge of a particular cemetery to ask them to look the name up in their records.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  Sorry, What pages do you mean?

It could be, but is it that you have dates from the death registrations or that you can't find the death registrations either? What sort of date are we talking about?

It could be a mistake in the index, or that the birth name isn't what she came to be known as, or that there's more than one couple surname X mmn Y and this isn't the right birth!
                  Hi

All I can say is duh, I went back into the pages I was looking at, this time at 50 resolution and was able to see whole pages. Last night when I was looking, I magnified the pages to 150, so consequently, the page would appear blanked out. Sorry.

Got a bit of a problem here as father in laws grandparents, came from outside the UK. I have found out from the 1911 census that he had a household in Leeds, but without applying for credits I don't know who was in the household. It is for Reuben Jacobs, birth year 1876 and this age was 35. As for the burial records, we know that there are several burial grounds, the one on the Dewsbury road is comparitively recent, but the family does not know exactly when his GP's were buried or where. You know what its like, when you are younger you get told things and details get forgotten, its been like going on a fishing trip, jogging memories of what my in laws were told long ago.

As for the missing lady, I have found her older sister, still can't find her mother's birth, can find her marriage record but she is still very much alive, therefore I can't put her name on the forum for others to look. It is possible that she was found with her home bombed out, as a baby and has never been told she is adopted and I wouldn't want to upset her for the world, if she thinks my MiL's great aunt is her Mum so be it. I have looked over a ten year period and still draw a blank.
                  Last edited by LorraineJ; 10-03-09, 07:42.

Comment

Got a bit of a problem here as father in laws grandparents, came from outside the UK. I have found out from the 1911 census that he had a household in Leeds, but without applying for credits I don't know who was in the household. It is for Reuben Jacobs, birth year 1876 and this age was 35.
                    Lorraine, you might be able to figure out who else was in his household without buying credits, for instance, you could search on surname Jacobs, place of residence whatever you have found for him, other name in same household Reuben, and you should get a list of other family members who were living with him. Also you can put in Reuben Jacobs in the other name fields, and go through the alphabet for first letter of surname with a wildcard to find any other people in the household, e.g. surname A*, then B* and so on. Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I'll try to explain it better!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Redacted
                      Last edited by Penelope; 10-03-09, 10:49.

Comment

It's possible they were married before they came to England. I couldn't see Reuben in 1901.

In 1911, there is a boy, Joseph, born c1898. Possibly their son. The next one is Solomon, born c1902.
                        Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                          Lorraine, you might be able to figure out who else was in his household without buying credits, for instance, you could search on surname Jacobs, place of residence whatever you have found for him, other name in same household Reuben, and you should get a list of other family members who were living with him. Also you can put in Reuben Jacobs in the other name fields, and go through the alphabet for first letter of surname with a wildcard to find any other people in the household, e.g. surname A*, then B* and so on. Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I'll try to explain it better!
                          Not sure how this works, as I have been using the Findmypast website and to use the wildcards it would seem you have to give it a name to work with. All I get is
                          household,Jacobs, Reuben, M, 1876,35,Leeds, Yorkshire West Riding

I don't understand also how you can get round this minus a census reference.

Comment

Okay, go onto the "full person search" and type in Jacobs for last name, Leeds for Residential Place, and Reuben in other members of household first names. It comes back with 14 people's names, who may or may not all belong to the same household: Abram, Annie, Betsy, Etty, Fanny, Isaac, Joseph, Leah, Lewis, Nathan, Rebecca, Sam, Solomon and Tilly.

So to try to sort them out, I try again but put Nathan in the "members of household first names" instead of Reuben, and most of the above names (Abram, Annie, Betsy, Etty, Fanny, Isaac, Sam) come up for that search but the Reuben in that family is 5 months old. So go back to the search again, and just to make sure that the left-over names are in the same household as your Reuben, I replace "Nathan" with "Reuben Rebecca" and get this list of matches: Joseph 13, Solomon 9, Lewis 6, Leah 4, Tilly 1. Just need to check how old Rebecca was so I go back to the search once again and put her first name in the main name search box and take it out of the "other member of household" box and it comes back with Rebecca Jacobs age 30.

Now to see if there is anybody with a different surname in that household - go back to the search screen and click on "Show Advanced Fields". Make sure to tick the "wildcard name" box for the main surname search box, and keeping Leeds as the residential place, fill in Reuben Rebecca for the other members of household first names and Jacobs as the other members of household surname, blank out the first name for the main search and enter J* as the surname (just to make sure it works!). If it comes back with the names of the 5 Jacobs children then you have done it right and can now try A*, B* and so on instead.

Quite a long way round but it saves on credits, though of course if you find someone else in the household and you want to know more about them you would end up having to pay to see what it says!
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                            X