No announcement yet.

Just when you think you've lost them...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when you think you've lost them...

Best mate & I were at Surrey History Centre on Saturday for talks on asylums. In the morning, she had ordered up admissions registers for Brookwood Asylum. She found the woman she was looking for. Being nosy, I checked out the indexes.

Blow me, I found someone I'd written off as lost, admitted with mania and staying there till her death twenty years later. Not, I hasten to add, a direct relative, but her admission would have caused a fuss in the family and not a whisper of this has trickled down.

As I'm back there next week, I'll be looking at the case books
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Wow! That's really satisfying - coming across a record like that. That's the same sort of thing as found me Errant Grandfather's death record (via the USA SSDI).

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looks like sheer fluke - these are the best!
      CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Serendipity is a wonderful thing!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I also noted references for three friends who I know are doing one name studies, so clearly admissions were more general than I had supposed.

Discovering a couple of rellies in prison made me look more closely at those records, but I hadn't thought to check asylum records before.

Ironically, I had thought that a couple of people who died mysteriously in Epsom must have been in mental institutions, but now realise that the Epsom cluster hadn't been built then, so possibly a day at the races ended badly!
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi Phoenix

I was there today! I had some success with the parish records that I looked at and I'm going back to look at Workhouse records. I've not accessed any of those before so I'm looking forward to seeing what info it will give me for Banstead and Stoke D'Abernon.

One kind vicar even wrote the date of birth in the margin for my all my Carshalton baptisms so that has saved me ordering the birth certificates for the dates.

Another vicar wrote that a baby that was baptised that 2 days later he met the mother and added a note that she was living in the workhouse at the time of the baptism, in the right hand margin of the register and that he wrote that in the presence of the mother. One fiche was so badly filmed that the staff ordered the actual register for me for the 1800's so it was interesting to see the real thing.

I saw the display boards for the assylums but I've not tried looking in their records either yet. Until recently I'd only used the internet so I'm enjoying exploring in person.

Parking was free there too so that was handy but it took me a while to find the entrance around the back off Kingsway.

Comment

Hi Claire
              Sounds like you had a good time!
              I had a great time on Saturday - and was also able to look at original registers. It was lucky I knew what I was looking for - the C20th vicar had a neat but illegible hand.

The case books were amazing - very detailed with pages of descriptions of symptons, how the madness was first recognised and treatments.

Comment

Working...
              X