Where's this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's this?

I know the village, but I can't make out the address. Neither could the people who attempted to transcribe it! I've checked maps and googled the name of the village looking for clues, but without success. Can any of you helpful people come up with ideas?
    ... Dugless

It is sometimes easier to look at the page as a whole - is it from a pre 1911 census, if so can you give us the reference?
    Elaine

Comment

Without the village name or census reference, my best guess is Lrd. Sudley's Mansion?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi

Have you looked at description of the enumeration district? sometimes there's a clue there tho' not sure about 1911 census.

Comment

Didn't include more info in case it influenced anyone's deliberations or ideas. I was searching for James Shergold, aged 16, in Gloucestershire in 1861. The reference, according to The Genealogist, is RG9/1793/F77 and the page number on the image is 22.
          ...D

Comment

I think it says Ld Sudleys Mansion as well. I have been copying the writing on to a bit of paper and that is what it looks like. Did he perhaps work there?

Comment

Something to do with Sudely Castle perhaps as Toddington is only a few miles away?
              Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Comment

Redacted
                Last edited by Penelope; 09-03-09, 14:37.

Comment

Methinks Kiterunner may have hit the nail on the head. Just googled 'Lord Sudeley's Mansion' and, bingo, it comes up with a very large house in the village, Toddington Manor, that was owned in the 1800s by Lord Sudeley. One wonders why the enumerator didn't call it that in the first place! And yes, 'tis the same Sudeley as of the Castle. Thanks one and all.

Sidenote: way back in the late 60s or early 70s there was a sample census taken and for which I was an enumerator. Then living in Cheltenham, I had four properties to 'census'tise, three ordinary houses and one rather big one, Sudeley Castle. Question, says I, how many rooms do you have? Owner replies God knows!
                  Last edited by Dugless; 09-03-09, 14:39. Reason: Addition

Comment

All of which goes to prove that Google is just like Windows' help. It may have the right answer but you need to know the right question in the first place!

Comment

Working...
                    X