Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancestry Connections Service - anyone been having any problems with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Connections Service - anyone been having any problems with this?

Over the past couple of months I've had 3 contacts via this, all seemed keen to make contact (or why would they have written to me in the first place)? I responded using the ancestry connection service and nothing has come back from any of them, which I find a bit strange. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.
    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Yes, I had one contact who I sent lots of info to in reply to his message but I never heard back so I assume he never got my messages. I wonder if it happens when someone changes their email address but forgets to tell ancestry (your contact, I mean, not you)
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Changing e mail addresses could be an explanation but three on the trot?

Comment

Mmm, maybe that's not it then!
        KiteRunner

Comment

I've tried to make contact with several people who have trees on Ancestry, but never get a reply. I wonder if there is something in my account settings that is causing a problem. Do you normally get a notification if someone tries to contact you?

scuda
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Yes, you should get an e mail notification. I've just e mailed a cousin asking her to try to contact me via this service so I can run a check - I'll post what happens though could take a while as she's in a completely different time zone

Comment

I've had 3 too, all of whom wanted access to my tree - also heard nothing back from them after letting them have access :(

Comment

I have quite a few contacts via this service, and I have to say they have all worked well! I usually reply with some sort of comment about what info will help you know if this really is your relly and usually get a reply, and have had my best contacts from it!

Shame it's not working for everyone!
                Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

I sent three messages to contacts and never received any replies.

I have since found that Ancestry have been placed on a Blacklist and our Spam Filter program uses this list. None of my replies got through to me because the Spam Filter blocked them and sent them back.

I have changed my e-mail to one that doesn't use the Spam Filter and the messages are now getting through.

Maybe you should check your Spam Filters and see if Ancestry is being blocked.

I have told Ancestry about this, but they weren't interested!!!
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I also have had a few enquiries recently, have replied to them, but had nothing back. Just assumed there was no further interest, but maybe not then.

Comment

Yesterday I sent two enquiries via the connection service about mutual ancestors in our family trees.

This morning I find I have an email from Ancestry inviting me to join the connection service!?
                      I know it worked a week ago as I made one very valuable contact then.
                      Something seems wrong here.

I have actually found one of the contacts I tried yesterday is registered on another site so I may try contacting them by private message on that board later.

Comment

Didn`t Ancestry have problems with this a few months ago, i too have sent 3 messages over the last month and not had a reply

Sylvia
                        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                        Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                        Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Ditto for me! I've sent 4 messages by the connection service in the last 2 weeks and not a hint of a reply. I've been surprised that there has been nothing from one person who even had my late father's dates & must have a reasonably close link to my father's family.

I sent messages to people whose profiles showed that they have been active in the last 2 weeks. My only success was to a person who had their email address available on Ancestry so that suggests the other messages aren't getting through.

Comment

Ditto Ditto from me too. I have sent three messages and never had a reply from one of them, very odd.
                            regards Patti

*******always searching*********
                            for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

Yes, very frustrating. Received contact via Ancestry from test cousin and have replied using connections service. Not had confirmation from her yet to say she received it so is beginning to look a bit suspicious. Will give it a while longer though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Kate View Post
                                I've been surprised that there has been nothing from one person who even had my late father's dates & must have a reasonably close link to my father's family.
                                don't be so sure of that. i had a my whole tree copied by someone, i only knew from the hints. and once i checked it out, i contacted them, and they said we related by marriage in the 1840's. if that was true, why were my great grandmother's dates on there, and her paternal line back to 1600? we were supposedly linked through the maternal line.

Comment

Kylejustin,
                                  It's unlikely in this instance. My father died in 2000 and as Aussie BDMs have a privacy moratorium his death does not appear on any public index. The tree owner on Ancestry even has the day and month and as I've not given that information to any contacts I'm curious to know their source.

Comment

15 hours after I sent it, contact still hadn't received notification of my reply so I'm pretty confident now that the service is not working .

I will e mail ancestry today and see if they do anything about it.

Comment

I emailed them yesterday, but the more of us do it the better and they may look into it.

Sylvia
                                      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                                      Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                                      Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

I've just received a very exciting message from someone via ancestry, and luckily he had the sense to include his email address, so I've been able to reply confident that my message will get to him.
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X