Yorkshire, Lancashire and the Dobsons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkshire, Lancashire and the Dobsons

I'm really hoping that someone can help me with this one. I am very, very stuck so here I am looking for help with this line of my family.

1881 census Cudworth,
    Dwelling: Cudworth
    Census Place: Cudworth, York, England
    Source: FHL Film 1342110 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4598 Folio 21 Page 36
    Joseph DOBSON M 37 M Leeds, York, England
    Rel: Head
    Occ: Coal Miner
    Mary A. DOBSON M 36 F Milnthorpe, Westmorland, England
    Rel: Wife
    Mary E. DOBSON 9 F Lancaster Dalton
    Rel: Daur
    Occ: Scholar
    Joseph DOBSON 7 M Shafton, York, England
    Rel: Son
    Hannah DOBSON 5 F Roystone, York, England
    Rel: Daur
    Sarah E. DOBSON 9 m F Roystone, York, England - my paternal granmother

Joseph Dobson, my gr grandfather died in July 1885 at the age of 41 West Melton, West Riding Yorkshire. I'm thinking it likely was born in the latter part of 1843 or early 1844 (Ignoring mistakes of course). The 1881 censusgives birthplace as Leeds, but as my geography of the area is not that good, it could have been somewhere in the locality that I do not know about. I have no idea who his parents were and am desperately trying to find out. All the various Joseph Dobsons born 1842 - 1846 that I have been able to follow forward in the censuses don't seem to fit the picture (eg still alive in 1891). I have looked at census returns and followed forward those born in Halton/Whitkirk, Rothwell, Hunslet and Leeds. None seem right to me.

His partner was a Mary Ann from Sandside, near Milnthorpe in Westmorland. she was born Jackson (but known as Mark, until after her father left,when she is back to Jackson on the 1861 census in Wesmorland) Her mother Isabella Jackson, and her father Thomas Mark do not seem to have married.

I have just got the marrige cert for Mary Ann - she was previously married to a Robert Atkinson in Ulverstone in 1865. Register Office wedding. I am assuming that she didn't divorce, and therefore didn't marry Joseph Dobson (which is why I haven't been able to find a marriage for them). But, IF she married Joseph Dobson it would have been under the name of
    Atkinson. I can't find any record of that though. I can't find out what happended to Robert Atkinson either - can't find a death, or evidence of emigration.

I am REALLY stuck. Can you think of any way that I can find out who this Joseph Dobson was? and who his parents were?

Thank you very much,

I'm wondering if the daughter Mary wasn't Joseph's. It seems odd that he was born in Yorkshire and the other children all born there - why would he go to Lancashire have a daughter and then return?

BTW, its Royston near Cudworth isn't it, not Roystone?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have you found Mary Ann senior in 1871?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

have we not a dobson on these boards?im sure i have seen one brenda xxx

Comment

What age and occupation was Robert Atkinson on the marriage cert?

Comment

Dobsons, Lancs and Yorks

Thanks for the replies - Yes, I have just sent off to the GRO for the birth cert of Mary E (tried a couple of years ago, they couldn't find it - but I was looking for Dobson, I'm now trying other surnames). I don't know if she was the daughter of Robert Atkinson, or of Joseph Dobson (may never know really).

Royston, near Cudworth - gets spelt with an 'e' at the end on different returns.

Joseph was miner - might have gone to the north-west in search of work??

In 1871 Mary Ann was married to Robert Atkinson in Dalton in Furness, with 3 kids. I have found out that the youngest Moses, died at age 6, the girl Isabella might be the one living with aunt and uncle in Radcliffe in later years (only one I can find) but have no idea what Happened to Robert and the son. Maybe emigrated???

And in 1871 Robert was an iron miner, aged 23 when he married, father John also iron miner.

Comment

Redacted
              Last edited by Penelope; 08-03-09, 14:10.

Comment

[QUOTE=Penelope;1611789]Halton, Whitkirk and Hunslet are Leeds. West

If you have Family tree Maker, when you feed people's names in it will automatically pull up maps of the area for you and we're finding that handy!

Penelope
                I have FTM and I have not seen this facility. Can you please tell me how to find it?
                Thanks
                Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Lynne, if I pull up my FTM I have a list of names in a box on the left hand side of my screen. I highlight one of them, then at the top taskbar, select 'PLACES'. The person's place will come up automatically, on Microsoft Virtual Earth as an O.S map - and on the right a list of people associated with this place, from your tree.

Above the map you will see a list of options, including 'Bird's Eye' - if you click that it converts the map to an aerial photo.

We have found this to be a brilliant tool. Even though we're locals and know the places on my mum's side, we use it for that but moreso on dad's side where some are less familiar - and OH's where they are a long way away, we use it to get a better sense of areas. You can zoom in and out of maps and move round them by scrolling, too. Same with the aerial photos.

I have FTM 2009 - not sure if this is a feature in every version?

Comment

Working...
                  X