Dormston Registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dormston Registers

Could some kind soul please look-up the marriage in Dormston 1916 for John Brown EDINGTON and Gertrude Georgina COWLEY on January/February 3, 1916.

I need confirmation of month please.

Also did the marriage take place at St Nicholas?

Thanks. Jill Statton, Adelaide, South Australia.

Marriages Mar 1916 (>99%)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cowley Gertrude G Edington Pershore 6c 353
    This is it!

Comment

Mar is just the quarter in which the marriage was registered. It could have taken place anytime between 1 Jan and 31 Mar.

I don't know where Dormston is but has it got more than one church?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You'll need to buy the marriage certificate from the GRO (see the WIKI for details), using the details that Tessie found. That's the only easy way to find the date and church. The certificate will also give you names and occupations for the fathers of the bride and bridegroom. Local register offices can't usually help unless you definitely know which church the marriage took place in, as every church has its own register.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

According to Genuki there is only one church there. If you contact Worcestershire archives and ask very very nicely they might check the marriage register for 3 Feb and 3 Mar and send a photocopy of the entry which might be cheaper than getting the cert.

Or possibly the Worcestershire Family History Society might have done transcripts.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I was aware that the Official BMD Index contains registrations by Quarters. My information is from two separate sources: one stating January 3, 1916 and the other February 3, 1916 and only "in Dormston".

Obtaining certificates from Australia is quite a "to-do" - and costly - and I was hoping that someone researching these registers or a member of the Worcestershire FH Society might have a quick look for me.

St Nicholas appeared to be the only church in Dormston, but I wanted confirmation that the marriage did actually take place in the church and not at the Manse or at home.

Thank you, all. I will try the Worcstershire Archives. Jill

Comment

Originally posted by JillStatton View Post
              Obtaining certificates from Australia is quite a "to-do" - and costly
              It costs the same from Australia as it does from the UK: £7.00 if you order online from the official GRO site, quoting the volume and page number:

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

Comment

Mary's right - certificates cost the same (£7) and can be ordered online, whether your order them from the UK or abroad.

There is more information about certificates in the Wiki: England and Wales Certificates - Family Tree Forum
                Sarah

Comment

St Nicholas appeared to be the only church in Dormston, but I wanted confirmation that the marriage did actually take place in the church and not at the Manse or at home.

They wouldn't have been allowed to get married at home as their home would not be registered for performing marriages (unless they lived at the register office!)
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                    They wouldn't have been allowed to get married at home as their home would not be registered for performing marriages (unless they lived at the register office!)
                    Though, to go off at a slight tangent, it was very common for Scottish weddings to take place at home (or sometimes at the minister's house).

Comment

KiteRunner - surely it is the officiating Minister who must be registered to perform marriages and not the establishment? Or is it different in England than elsewhere?

Uncle John - is correct regarding Scottish marriages. Indeed, the Scottish Presbyterian Church is very strict with the usages of their kirks and did not permit weddings to take place there - they were only used for Services and Baptims, which would have taken place during the usual church service. John Brown EDINGTON was Scottish which prompted my enquiry regarding the actual place of the ceremony.

Re Official BMD Certificates - apart from the cost, the wait is sometimes intolerable - it took some ten months for me to receive my last order of certificates, after several letters.

However, Worcestershire History Centre very kindly confirmed the month of January as the correct date and offers a copy of the Register entry for £5, payable online, should anyone else have a full reference and wishes to avail themselves of this service.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Jill

Comment

Re Official BMD Certificates - apart from the cost, the wait is sometimes intolerable - it took some ten months for me to receive my last order of certificates, after several letters.
                        Good heavens. It normally takes about a week for certs to come from the GRO, and local Register Offices are often quicker.

Comment

KiteRunner - surely it is the officiating Minister who must be registered to perform marriages and not the establishment?
                          In the UK, the place has to be licensed for marriages.

Until about 10 years ago, marriages could only take place in a place of worship or register office. The law was then changed so that non-religious premises can also be licensed.

Comment

If you remember Prince Charles' wedding to Camilla, they were originally planning to get married at Windsor Castle, until they realised that the castle would have to be licensed for marriages, which would mean that any member of the public who fancied it would have to be allowed to get married there! That was why they got married at the register office instead.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

KiteRunner - surely it is the officiating Minister who must be registered to perform marriages and not the establishment? Or is it different in England than elsewhere?
                              Unless the "establishment" is a Church of England church (or a few others which I can't bring to mind), it must be registered by the GRO for the solemnisation of marriages. AND the minister performing the ceremony must be licensed to perform marriages at that church. If both conditions cannot be met, then the registrar must attend and the marriage will be recorded in his travelling register.

An odd fact that I only discovered recently is that if the GRO registration certificate for the church etc. goes missing, there is no provision in the Marriage Act for a duplicate to be issued. So my church, having mislaid the certificate, has instead a letter from the GRO stating the date when it was registered.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                In the UK, the place has to be licensed for marriages.
                                Good heavens - a bit restrictive: hence no beach, garden nor bush weddings like in Australia? Would also preclude marriages while sky-diving, underwater and undertaking other "mad" activities which the modern generation persist in.

But I see that Uncle John states that if both registered premises and licensed minister are not available, then the registrar must attend and the marriage will be recorded in his travelling register. Does this then permit marriages at outside venues, as abovementioned?

Has this practice of church only always been in, or when was it introduced in England?

Comment

There is an interesting tutorial here about marriage certs and covers where marriages were allowed to take place. (Note that Jews and Quakers were exempt from some of the regulations)

Marriage Certificate Tutorials

As was said above, the regulations were relaxed in 1995 but the venue still has to be licensed. Amongst other stipulations, the marriage has to take place in "readily identifiable premises available to the public for marriage purposes." ie it can't take place in the open air, in temporary structures (tents etc.) The premises must also be a "seemly and dignified venue for the solemnisation of marriage"
                                  Jackie

Comment

So far as I know it's always been the case until the law was changed about 10 years ago, as I mentioned, but Guy will no doubt be able to quote you chapter and verse

I don't think it's ever bothered people much - the weather in England isn't really conducive to outdoor weddings most of the time

Comment

Our local paper contains the occasional public notice concerning an application to use secular premises for weddings. They have to state which rooms/locations will be used and how many people can be accommodated. I think the law was changed about 10 years ago. I have no idea what the arrangement is for registering the marriage, but I'd guess it's the registrar's travelling register.

Comment

My goodness, Night Owl, I had no idea that marriage in England was so restrictive - I am really stunned - (a) that it should be so and (b) that I have not come across this before. Thank you so much for that info.

The weather notwithstanding, there are now so many lovely conservatories being built in English homes that it seems a shame that weddings cannot take place at home. Although it is not my preference, I guess if you want sun and garden for your wedding, then come to Australia.... It is amazing that we have not followed your tradition and laws in this, as we seem to have followed England in most other things to do with Officialdom - especialy (unfortunately) your BMD certificates here in South Australia: ours are not so informative as those in the Eastern States of Australia.

Thank you all for opening my eyes with this important detail regarding marriages.
                                        Last edited by JillStatton; 13-03-09, 00:48.

Comment

Working...
                                        X