Boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boys

I'm afraid the quality of this is not very good, but I no longer have the original as I sort of "borrowed" it for a while! Thanks to Chrissie for blanking out the faces

If the photo is of the person I think it is, then I think it is dated about 1926.
    Do you think that seems right?
    Also how old do you think the boys are?
    And, possible most important, could they possibly be boys in a Children's Home? - Their clothing seems very odd - as if they've been spruced up for the photo.

I thought that it could have been a school, but were primary schools single
    sex? - Come to think of it were Children's Homes single-sex?

Thanks
    Joan died in July 2020.

I find it quite difficult without seeing their faces Joan!

However, the front ones look about the same size as my son - he's 7.

They appear older in the middle and back rows - 8 & 9 year olds?

I have photos of my dad at 'primary' school in the 1940s (he was born 1937) wearing similiar clothes.

Comment

When I was at primary school from 1953 to 1960 the boys dressed like that! Possibly with the exception of the one in the back row who appears to be wearing a sailor suit!
      The oblong knitted tie worn by the boy in the centre is very similar to my infant school tie. The long grey socks with the coloured bands around the top were school uniform wear for the boys.

In my infant school the boys and girls had separate entrances and in both school the playgrounds were segregated. The only chance we got to play together was on the 'field' in the Summer Term

I don't remember our school photos being taken separately though.

Having said all that, I don't think school uniforms changed much between the 1920s and the 1960s. I would guess that it was taken either in the 1930s or 1940s.
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I would say the photo was taken in the 1930's or 1940's also. l remember my brother having a pullover with patterns across it like the boy in the front row.
        Also l dont think it is a school photo as they seem mixed ages . It would be a very small school if those were the only boys in it (not impossible though if it were a small village school) . My bet would be a childrens home
        Pam

Comment

I would go with the 20s, simply because that sailor suit would shortly be so grossly out of fashion.......and the waistcoats, god love them.......

Comment

Thanks for you replies

I was hoping for the mid-late 1920s as I am pretty sure that one of the boys in the front row was born in 1919.

I don't think it would have been a village school as I think the photo was taken in Altrincham.

A children's home is very possible, as the boy was "adopted" at some stage.
            But they all look very dressed-up - the photo looks quite "staged". The original was larger than an ordinary family snapshot, and quite professional looking - as if it was taken for a special occasion.
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

my dads got loads of photos like this and its the 1940s at approve school maybe

Comment

1945 and boys about 8 brenda xxx

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

It's very interesting that you mention an approved school, Brian. If it is an approved school, then the boy whose identity I am interested in is not the boy in the photo, but his cousin who was four years younger. Yet in photos I have seen of the two boys together, the cousin looks four years older

Thanks - you have certainly given me food for thought
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                  X