Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills/Trade directories??

HI there,
    Wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

I have been stuck trying to find the mother of my ancestor George Robotham (b.1871) for some time now. Today I got some information from a great aunt that a brother of his owned a textiles factory in Leicester and left something from it (the business? Money from selling it? I don't know!) in his will to a neice of his: Florence Robotham.

George had one brother and three half brothers. I don't know which brother owned the factory and I haven't a clue where to find out. Can anyone recommend any good websites?

I am hoping I can gather some more information about George from this. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

If you know the names of all his brothers and roughly when they died, then you can search to see which of them left wills and order copies - we have some info in our Wiki to help:
    Wills and Probate - Family Tree Forum

Ancestry has some trade directories now, also there is a site called Historical Directories but not sure it it will go forward far enough for what you want. Ancestry also has phone directories so they would be worth a try.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Historical Directories
      There is no trace in the 1870 Trade Directory for Leicester of any robotham's having a Textile factory.
      Link shown above

Edit
      Sorry misread- It would be after this date that he had a factory. There is a search facility on this web site

Comment

Post Office Directory Leicestershire & Rutland 1912.
        Page 446.
        There is a Rowbottom Phillip, engineer (j), 1 Bismark St. [(j) denotes journeyman].
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks Guy but no Phillips I'm afraid in the family.
          It will either be Enoch, William Ernest, Harry or Ernest.

Comment

Originally posted by eponine2 View Post

I have been stuck trying to find the mother of my ancestor George Robotham (b.1871) for some time now.

George had one brother and three half brothers. I don't know which brother owned the factory and I haven't a clue where to find out.
            The obvious question - have you tried tracing the whole family on the census?
            Where was George born?
            Elaine

Comment

George was born in Staffordshire and have found him on the 1891 and 1901 census'.
              Am struggling to find the other brothers.
              It seems that the family moved to Derbyshire fairly early on

Comment

"
                I have been stuck trying to find the mother of my ancestor George Robotham (b.1871) for some time now"

Have I missed something -if you want his mothers name - can you not find his birth cert? What is his fathers name?
                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 08-03-09, 09:48.

Comment

Can you give us the details of the 1891 and 1901 census so that we can be sure we are following the same George.
                  If you have the reference that would be the easiest thing to give, if not tell us what it says for his place of birth, where he was living, and who else was in the household.
                  Elaine

Comment

Eponine
                    have you tried the Historical Directories web site already mentioned

Comment

This is the link to epo's earlier thread about this family:

Comment

Working...
                      X