This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safely remove hardware problem

I have Vista and whenever I use the safely remove hardware to disconnect a camera or other device I always click on the right one to remove it. The problem is that it seems to also disconnect the speedtouch modem thingy as well. I then have to take out and replace the usb for the modem before I can reconnect to the internet, if that makes sense! Does any techie know how to stop it doing this ?
    Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Are they plugged into different USB slots in your computer, or do you have them plugged into one of those multi-USB adaptor thingies?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The speedtouch is plugged into a usb port at the back of the pc and I use the ports at the front for portable devices.
      Off to cook dinner now, will check back later.

Comment

Do you right click on the Safely Remove icon or left click?

If you right click you should be given a further menu where you can choose the specific device.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Simple solution is to not use it, just unplug the device.... the only reason to use it would be if you have an external hdd or usb drive connected and you are editing files on that device...

I have never used the icon, and have never experienced adverse effects or data loss
          https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Guy I right click and select the device I want to remove but it still disconnects the speedtouch as well.
            I'll try not using it next time and see what happens.

Comment

USB devices are designed to be 'hot swapable'
              This means there is no need to use the silly 'safely remove ' Icon.
              You can just pull them out and plug them in as you need to.

As Grim said, you only need to use that if you are using a form of storage device (external drive or memory stick), as it checks that all data movement has been completed and gives you the message

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

So I would have to use it when I back up to my Clickfree Automatic backup device then? But not for a camera ?

Comment

I never used to use it until I corrupted a usb modem by not using it.
                  Now I err on the side of caution.
                  Cheers
                  Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                    I never used to use it until I corrupted a usb modem by not using it.
                    Now I err on the side of caution.
                    Cheers
                    Guy
                    Corrupting a device such as that could only really be done by either a power surge, in which case 'safely remove' would not have had an effect anyway.. OR you disconnected it while updating firmware...

Safely Remove hardware is there for one reason, to allow windows to write any cached data back to the device prior to disconnection.. it does not reduce power or physically diconnect the port in any way..

Comment

Not so try plugging in a memory stick such as the SanDisk.
                      You will find that dependant on the operating system. The light will turn off when using the "remove device" in XP but may stay on when using it in Vista (I have a Vista OS laptop where the power is switch but a desktop where it is not.
                      This shows that in fact power is switched using that option in certain configurations.
                      Cheers
                      Guy

Comment

Guy

Refer to my comments
                        I stated memory devices should use 'safely remove'
                        When you plug in your SanSisk, as 'cache' image is created by your Vista operating system, as it looks at the posibility of using a restore feature on a 'drive' that is on the system.

So Grim is also correct.
                        Ther is no way a USB device can become corrupted just by unpluging it.
                        'Safetly remove' is a feature to allow the temporary cachememory to close correctly.
                        It is no different to a temporary file being created as a cache version of the original when you open a document on your hard drive, except this cache is automatically removed on file close, unless the file 'crashes' then the temporary image remains, hence the option to open a previously temporary version if you open Word after a crash.

Researching:
                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

This is getting a bit too technical for me now

Comment

Originally posted by lesley141 View Post
                            This is getting a bit too technical for me now
                            I know what you mean Lesley - I've just been trying to work my way through the information!

I always use "safely remove" for my camera because I understood I could ruin the camera if I unplugged without doing so. Having read all the above, I think I'll just err on the side of caution and continue to do so!
                            Gillian
                            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                              Not so try plugging in a memory stick such as the SanDisk.
                              You will find that dependant on the operating system. The light will turn off when using the "remove device" in XP but may stay on when using it in Vista (I have a Vista OS laptop where the power is switch but a desktop where it is not.
                              This shows that in fact power is switched using that option in certain configurations.
                              Cheers
                              Guy
                              Guy,

USB ports are permanently powered, thats how they detect when a device is connected to them.. they dont use the force.....
                              Push some tin foil in the port if you dont beleive me,
                              The single biggest cause of 'no power' in consumer PC's is damaged USB ports where the power pin has been deformed so that it touches the metal surround, usually caused by folk trying to force a usb plug in upside down.
                              This in turn causes the motherboard to detect excessive current through the port and it will refuse to start in order to protect itself..

Lights on usb devices usually have a dual function, so stating that power switches when you use 'safely remove' is highly misleading... the LED goes off because it has been told to by the firmware of the device

Comment

Lesley
                                Gillian

The discussion is about
                                'Is there a need to use safely remove'
                                In the case where multiple USB devices are plugged in (such as the original post), can cause more than one to be deactivated.
                                Myself and Grim have been saying that you do not need to do this, unless you are removing a USB memory device that was in the process of moving data .

So.
                                Getting back to the original question from Lesley, just unplug your devices
                                If you are copying from a memory device or camera, just let the process complete itself.
                                The safetly remove is only there to stop you removing while it was in process of moving data by a prompt message.

The technical info from Grim in his last message was for Guy, where he is being informed that a USB port has a small amount of power to it at all times, so he probably had a faulty connector on the modem and it 'shorted out' on the USB port.

Researching:

Comment

I am well aware the usb port has constant power, however the safely remove icon allows for the device to be switched off before removal.
                                  That is why the light on memory sticks can be switched off by using "safely remove".
                                  It might not bother some but when you have paid out around £3500 for a usb Discproducer (burns & prints cds dvds) taking the risk is not worth while.
                                  I would also point out there are a number of commercial third party programs designed to do the same task as "Safely Remove hardware".
                                  If there was no call for them they would not still be being produced.
                                  Cheers
                                  Guy

Comment

Just because an application is sold to do something, does not necessarily mean it is required...it just means someone has spotted a moneymaking opportunity.
                                    Dont forget the safely remove hardware icon is there for other devices too, not just USB.. Its main use tends to be with PCMCIA cards on laptops..

Bringing powered devices into the discussion just muddies the waters further Guy.. For a USB pen drive or similar, all of its power is drawn from the USB port.. for a powered device such as the one you mentioned, its own power supply would reduce the usb link to a data only feed..

In any case all of this is largely irrelavent.. people will use the method they feel most comfortable with...
                                    my point, backed up by many years of professional experience, is that for usb devices, unless data is being transferred, it is perfectly safe to just unplug them from the computer..

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                                      Lesley
                                      Gillian

The discussion is about
                                      'Is there a need to use safely remove'
                                      In the case where multiple USB devices are plugged in (such as the original post), can cause more than one to be deactivated.
                                      Myself and Grim have been saying that you do not need to do this, unless you are removing a USB memory device that was in the process of moving data .

Thanks Trevor.
                                      Gillian
                                      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Working...
                                      X